"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial plates found on Western Electric Telephones

Started by Sargeguy, November 29, 2013, 09:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 05, 2013, 05:04:45 PM
My guess is that it is control mark used to distinguish one batch/assembly line/workshop etc.  from the others.  I don't think it has anything to do with the date of manufacture necessarily.
That is certainly a possibility, I agree.

poplar1

132G number plate on 2AG dial---this is on a 50AL that had a buy-it-now of $225. Some phones with this number plate have gone for over $900.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-AMERICAN-TEL-TEL-CO-323-CANDLESTICK-TELEPHONE-50AL-PATENT-1913-/200977005152

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

132G number plate on 2AG dial. Single letters were used to designate different central offices.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7042.0

Sargeguy

Quote132G number plate on 2AG dial---this is on a 50AL that had a buy-it-now of $225. Some phones with this number plate have gone for over $900

Nice
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

149-type number plates usually have the code no. and date on the front; this one just sold for $46.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131063844553

Phonesrfun

I don't know about the tab either.  I have not seen that in the past on any I have.  The back of yours seems to have a set of very faded red numbers at the bottom that may have once been a date.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Yes, I figured out that it is stamped 149-B and II or IV 34 as I was responding to poplar1.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 29, 2013, 10:34:57 AM
"6A" dial plates

Found only on early #6 dials these plates feature a dot above the 0.  The date is either stamped on the back or enameled on the front.  They came in both "Z" operator and "No Z" versions.  They look similar to the 164A but lack the holes for a retaining ring and are not compatible with earlier dials.

The old style plate with black dot that fits only 6-type dials is coded P-340016 in Section C34.101, Issue 6, Feb. 1955

unbeldi

This excerpt from BLR Vol 17, October 1938, p.52 establishes the time when the cellulose acetate layered dial plates were retired in favor of the enameled disks.

Sargeguy

I found this one on a #2AB dial:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Here's a 132-C number plate that was found in a dial marked 2AC.  It fits in the sequence shown at the start of this topic.
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10624.msg112993#msg112993

Next to it is a similar later plate found in a refurbed 5H dial.  From the shape, it might be a 149C or 150C plate, if those numbers exist.  It is unmarked, so doesn't answer the question of whether it might be a non-Bell replacement part.

Perhaps someone can find the C-variations referenced in a catalog.

BTW, taking the plate off the 5H revealed that the inside of the dial had been painted beige! I wouldn't have done that, but it doesn't seem to have hurt the operation.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

The beige paint on the 5H suggests that this dial was not reissued from the WE shops. So far, these 150-style plates with no "operator" have been found only on refurbished non-Bell phones. Since they are not coded (150C or whatever), and because of the poor quality, it seems they are in fact not WE reissues. Off hand, I don't recall seeing any number plates that WE remanufactured.

Also, I'm curious why the all figures, no operator plate found on Larry's Connecticut phone with WE 6-type dial is coded 164B, since that code was already used for the blank plate on pay phones. Another Connecticut phone with 6-type dial I checked has no markings on the back of the number plate.

paul-f

"Suggests" is the operative word.  Since the parts can't talk, we have no idea whether the paint and the number plate were done at the same time or years apart.

It's equally possible that the paint was an artifact from some user (or lazy refurb shop) deciding to paint the phone and removing the fingerwheel and number plate before applying the paint to the housing and dial internals.

paul-f

With Greg's help and support, I have summarized the number plate variations coded 131, 132, 149 and 150 in a table.  They all seem to use the same suffix codes.

Starting with the Universal number plates (164), the suffix codes are different.  I'll summarize them separately.

This format makes it easy to see similarities and focus our attention on the variations yet to be found and included.

We still need: 131B, 132A and D, 150F and G (?) and possibly several other 149 variations, if made.

The draft page is here:
   http://www.paul-f.com/weNumberPlates.html

After some testing, I'll integrate it into the site.  Additions and corrections are welcome.

Here are a few photos to add to this topic.