News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The niche of this forum

Started by Phonesrfun, October 27, 2009, 12:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I really think we have a unique niche going on in this Classic Rotary Phones forum.  Although the title at the top of the page reads "America's Classic Rotary Phones" forum, I am very glad to see others from across both oceans from the US that have shown us their phones and have been able to educate myself and others in some of the unique things about phones from across the globe.  I have certainly learned a lot from this.  I also had the opportunity to meet up with Briny Bay in a recent trip to Seattle and work with him on solving a ringing problem he was having with a Japanese NEC phone.

I have learned a lot.

We seem to have been spared the treachery of the folks that attend other groups and nit-pick and make snide remarks at just about everything anyone else says.  That is probably because this forum is made up of every-day people who just like phones, and perhaps want to get them looking nice and working.  We do not seem to be out to out-do the other person in terms of who has the most antique or authentic thing around; we just want these things to work and to better understand the workings of a massive telephone and communications system that seems to be fast going by the wayside.

I participate in a variety of other forums related to my interests, as I suppose many others do.  I was reading a post by Bill Cahill that even in other pet owners forums there are the nit-pickers.  That's too bad.

I congratulate this forum and Dennis Markham and the other pioneers who started this forum a little over a year ago on creating a wonderful experience.  I also congratulate the individual moderators.  Everyone seems to work well in keeping a great atmosphere going. 

I also like the ability to freely post pictures and not to have to always post distracting links to other sites.  Sometimes it is necessary to post links, but I really like to be able to upload a picture right then and there of what I am talking about.

This now has turned into a lengthy post, so I apologize, and I will now end.  However, I just want to say thanks, and keep up the good work, and I see that as of tonight we are now at 202 members.  The numbers keep climbing.

Thanks,

Bill Geurts
-Bill G

dsk

Thank you for starting this forum!

Small countries as Norway 4mill +   citizens, and being intersted in telephones... Soon they send some smiling guys in white coats after me.

I do not believe it is any other serious forum open for everyone, up and running now.
I am connected to C*NEThttp://www.ckts.info/ but this is no competitor, just a possibility to use my old rotary phones and talk to other with phone- interests for free.

Here we have joy, joking, and solving technical challenges.

Of course I have another odd hobby, I'm interested in stoves. (Take a look at Classic camp stoves: http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php) And now- for sure - they send some smiling guys in white coats after me.

Best regards

dsk
(Dag Ståle Karlsen)

foots

I've noticed that there does seem to be a lack of competition amongst folks here, and to be perfectly honest I love it that way. Lord knows I'm not trying to out do anybody. I collect phones and I don't care if its rare, really old, or numbers matching, mostly I get whatever I like. If I do get one with one of the previously mentioned attributes, well, that's lagniappe. I think most people here collect other stuff as well, and its our desire to collect and learn that is our common bond.

Joshua Fitzgerald
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Quote from: d_s_k on October 27, 2009, 03:01:54 AM

Here we have joy, joking, and solving technical challenges.

Of course I have another odd hobby, I'm interested in stoves. (Take a look at Classic camp stoves: http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php) And now- for sure - they send some smiling guys in white coats after me.

Best regards

dsk
(Dag Ståle Karlsen)

Camp stoves, now that's interesting.  Just what I need, another collecting bug!  I keep saying to various people that you can name any item, and somewhere there is a group of people who collect them!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

contraste

lagniappe

Had to look that one up Joshua.

Not only is this forum friendly, it's educational too.

Lee

bwanna

how is lagniappe pronounced, joshua ???   i'm gonna have to use that word.   :D
donna

Dennis Markham

Thank you Bill for this thread and your kind words about the Forum.  And once again, thanks to everyone that participates.  It is a lot of fun and it has been addicting.  Who was it, Jiggerman that said the other day that he likes to check the Forum with his morning coffee?  I do the same thing but do it all day! :)

The header used to say Mark Steven's Classic Rotary Phones and when we made the change-over I just asked Mark to put the word "America's" above the Classic Rotary Phones.  I didn't expect world-wide participation but I don't know why I didn't.  Perhaps another name change is needed.  Thanks to all of our friends "Across the Pond" and all over the globe.  (We could do without some of those spammers from Nigeria and other places that have recently been filtering in to the forum).

A quick reference for me is Dictionary.com.  I use it quite often and I'll admit even though I knew the general definition of the word Lagniappe, I did go there for the exact meaning.  I see of course that like Joshua it has an origin in southern Louisiana and Texas.  In the City where I worked they have a night in November called Lagniappe when the stores in the downtown area stay open late.  It's a big celebration to kick off the start of the Holiday shopping season in November.  That is the only time I've ever heard the word used, in reference to that night.  Thanks Joshua for adding some regional flavor to your posting.  It's another thing that makes the Forum interesting.  We have global participation and it's fun to read some of the words that are different to those of us in different parts of the world.

Thanks everyone!

ntophones

I, too, am really enjoying this forum. I love to come, read, learn and sort of "get to know" you all. This forum is a breath of fresh air--nice people, nice topics and nice, nice phones!
--nto

JorgeAmely

Where is NYFED? He has been gone for a while.  :o ???
Jorge

foots

Wow, I thought lagniappe was a common word all over the country. I guess I learn something new every day. 
  Bwanna, it's pronounced lon-yop.
  Dennis, it's people from all over the world that help make this place great. I especially enjoy learning differences in "american" english and "british" english. 
  I too have 2 other hobbies. I really enjoy adding machines and typewriters. All of these (rotary phones too) were cutting edge technology for many, many years and now all 3 are mostly forgotten about, with folks like us that refuse to let them die.  Here, when a call is made - a phone number is dialed. When letters are written, they are actually typed on paper, not printed out. My checking account is balanced by a 10 key manual adding machine. Sure it takes a few seconds to a few minutes longer when using some of these machines, but what's the big hurry?

Dennis Markham

You actually BALANCE your check book???! :)

foots

;D  Yeah Dennis, its no easy task. I can't stand for my balance to be more than a couple of cents off, so armed with my Hermes 10 key adder, a pencil, and some Pabst Blue Ribbon I go to war with the figures.

jsowers

Here in North Carolina I had never heard of lagniappe. My first thought was it was some Southern word for "lawwwwng nayap" (long nap).  :) Which is also a good thing, but not what it means. Thanks, Joshua, for the explanation. I've learned all kinds of things from this group and it's a very nice place to hang out and I wouldn't change a thing. I only wish I had more time to read all the posts.

I too collect other things besides phones. I have some old typewriters and old radios and TVs and some old computers and printers. Add to that old magazines and phone literature, old Christmas decorations and things like dishes and furniture from both my grandmothers. I've been collecting all my life. With all that stuff and the phones, that makes for a full basement.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Think of all the full basements in the Country.  I'll bet there are still some good phones out there just waiting to be liberated!

Dan/Panther

Next time I go to the store, I'm going to ask the baker for my lagniappe. ::)

D/P
Bwanna;
I had to look it up also... :o

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson