News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord / Color Restoration

Started by Jester, June 11, 2009, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have used the 3/8 inch dowel and had wonderful results too (I even dyed a pink first, then wrapped it and firmed it up) , but I noticed some of my original early  cords were "thicker or bigger" in circurference (to try and find a better term). Is it possible they were 1/2 ?

I'll be glad to post pics if you don't  know what I mean.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

I know exactly what you're describing, Dan.  Both of the cords pictured above have an inner diameter that's decidedly bigger than 3/8", but I tend to think that using something slightly smaller can actually help straighten out a badly kinked cord better than something the exact size.  Another benefit is that, by wrapping a heated cord tightly around a smaller core, you can help "preload" the coils as you continue through the rest of the treatment, which will help them stay tight.  I've also observed that whatever size core you use won't actually change your cord diameter.  All my large cords have "pulled back" to their original setting after I treated them, but they are still tight & the coils are all the same size again.  Since that was my original goal, I'm happy.
Stephen

bwanna

impressive work, jester! i don't know if i will every develop the skill level of you masters. i imagine it took some finesse to get the cord covering glued back together! thanks for sharing your technique.
donna

Jester

First of all, Thank you to all the compliments of my efforts.  It's nice to be noticed this way!

Secondly--To bwanna.  I am flattered to be included under the title of "Master", but, like many here, I'm just starting to try my hand at things like cord repair.  To paraphrase Jorge, the more you do, the better you get!

Thirdly, the following pics. document my attempts at dyeing a wall cord to match the Cherry Red handset cord on my NE 500.  The original was long gone & I haven't been able to scare up a replacement, so I decided to make one.  Thefirst attempt was with an old white cord, which I managed to turn bright red.  This turned out to be a limitation of the layout fluid, but I didn't clue into that until I had sacrificed a NOS rose pink cord to the process, only to wind up with the same color.  Not to be outdone, I went to Walgreen's & bought an assortment of Papermate pens.  Combining the ink from 2 black pens with some of the layout fluid/ thinner mixture gave me the color in the last picture.
Stephen

jsowers

It's close, but to me it's not a perfect match. I hope I didn't burst your bubble or step on your toes!   :'( The picture of the red NE is here and everyone can judge for themselves...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1201.0;attach=6439;image

Jester, you do need to be commended on your efforts. The red cord repair was outstanding. But dyeing red is going to take some work to match perfectly. Do they have any dark red Paper Mate pens? It needs to be less pink. And starting from white or pink to make red is a much bigger change than faded pink to pink. Maybe you need some green or brown in there too? It needs to be redder and less pink. I'm no artist, so don't go by my suggestions! Keep us posted on your further cord experiments.
Jonathan

Jester

You're right, Jonathan.  It does have a pink cast to it, but it's still closer than anything else I have.  I may have to find a new cord for the NE in order to get an exact match, but I have something I can display for now.
Stephen

jsowers

For a first or second attempt, it's great. And it's certainly better than no cord at all. Keep working on it. What happens when you mix in some black dye? I guess that stuff doesn't come in enough colors to be able to mix it.
Jonathan

McHeath

I'm impressed with the way it turned out, and would be good enough for me to have on the desk, though I'd probably keep looking for an original.  There is some pinkish cast to the color, but overall it's pretty darn good.

Dan/Panther

I've not attemted any other color match except Pink with the Dye-Kem, so I don't know if a mix of colors will get what you want.
Pink seems to be a rather difficult color to obtain, while Red can still be purchased, so I would just buy the Red one.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

D/P,
The red is the easiest to get, and they also make a blue that is chemically the same as the red, so it should work the same on the cords.  I don't know if you could ues it on aqua cords or not, but it's a thought.  I did find out that black I bought won't work. >:(  There is one ingredient missing from this staining fluid, but I think the real problem is the pigment base.  This black settles out as a grainy solid when not mixed and the solution can't be seen through when it is mixed.  It is not translucent like the red, and will easily rub off the cord after using the same technique to apply it to the cord as the red.
Stephen

Jester

This one is a little different, but it's still a cord repair, so I'm putting it here.  I finally got around to lengthening the lopped off receiver wires on this extra long dark beige handset cord.  Since there was some extra length of the outer cover in front of the sleeve & crimp, I simply removed 1/2" to 5/8", exposing enough wire to put spade terminals on.  I then modified a couple female blade connectors so I could stick a spade terminal into either end.  The extentions are standard internal jumpers used on the newer (late forties & up) F1 handsets.  The electrical tape is for both insulation & space savings. 
Stephen

stub

Jester,
           That's a great job!!!!!!!!! What kind of glue did you use to fuse the cord cover ?  Again, GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jester

stub,

If I have to fuse the outer housing, superglue seems to work best for me. 
Stephen

bwanna

very nice, sir :D  you guys have more patience than i ever hope to have ;)
donna

McHeath