News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chain Drive Mag

Started by the phone house, April 16, 2013, 08:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phone house

Can anyone help ID this Chain Drive Mag....
Steve @ The Phone House

Bill

Fascinating!

There are quite a few numbers stamped into the lower edge of the box. Can read them to us, or post a photo?

At first I thought it was just a ringer plus a magneto in a box, but there is an induction coil in there as well. Can you find a number on the coil?

Assuming that the crank is above the magneto shaft, the purpose would be to whirl that little 3-bar magneto much faster than the crank speed, presumably to get more voltage out of it - something that never occurred to me.

Can't wait to hear the answer.

Bill

LarryInMichigan

That magneto was tested 116 years ago!  It would make sense that the magneto speed needed to be increased to ring through 10,000 ohms.

Larry

the phone house

No marks or numbers on coil or mag.....
Steve @ The Phone House

the phone house

More photos of Chain Drive Mag, there are no marking on the Mag or Coil, Top Binding post are marked 1,2,3,4B,B,5.....Should i restor the wood box or leave as is??
Steve @ The Phone House

Sargeguy

It shouldn't be too hard to restore, provided the magneto works, you just need the bell mounts, bells and screws.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

i vote for restore.  Those are some great looking boxes. 
Dave

Doug Rose

These are a tough find. I have one with a the chain drive and nickel jingle bells with a leather strap for carrying. One of my favorites. I agree with Dave, restore it. This will look amazing when you are finished....Doug
Kidphone

wds

A 3rd option is give me one of those boxes!
Dave

HowardPgh

It is interesting that the center contact of the armature is contacted by a metal strip mounted on the side  of the box.
Howard

Doug Rose

Here are some pics, its  an Holtzer Cabot made in Boston. It is heavy, really heavy. Leather strap still is secure, but shows its age. No. I do not dare use the strap. This is one of my favorite tools. The chain drive is just so smooth. It is the only chain magneto I have ever seen in person. Nickel jingle bells and zoom in on the great cloth wires. I found it at a Flea market in Maine 7 or 8 years ago.

"$20 FIRM".....okay!

This is just as found, I just wiped of the dirt. Really amazing shape considering this bounced around in a truck. Don't you love the cut outs for the jingle bells....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Very Cool Doug! The wrench on the door is a nice touch, what is supposed to be in the brass holder where you have the key?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 17, 2013, 09:00:04 PM
Very Cool Doug! The wrench on the door is a nice touch, what is supposed to be in the brass holder where you have the key?
Harry....I thought is was to hold the key, but I have no idea if it should have been something else. I was amazed that it came with the key!....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

maybe a screwdriver holder?
Just a guess
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.