News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Salty 229W Transmitter

Started by Sargeguy, March 28, 2011, 11:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Salvaged from the Lusitania???  This 229 transmitter has a little bit of a corrosion problem.  None of the brass screws will budge.  The steel screws have rusted so that forcing them would be an issue.  Any suggestions on a solvent that will not harm the carbon block and the transmitter diaphragm?? A soak in WD-40?  Electrolysis???

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

JorgeAmely

There is a product, CRC, I believe the name is, that is good for removing corrosion. Just pour a little in a small container, about 3/8 " deep and submerge one edge, deep enough to cover the screws. Then try the other edge, and so on, until the corrosion is removed from the areas where the screws are.

Then hit it with WD40 to see if the screws will budge.
Jorge

DavePEI

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 28, 2011, 11:36:20 PM
There is a product, CRC, I believe the name is, that is good for removing corrosion.  

CT makes a huge selection of products. Perhaps the most suitable one for this purpose would be "Salt Terminator® Engine Flush, Cleaner & Corrosion Inhibitor", which claims to: "Clean & protects anything exposed to salt (saltwater, salt air, road salt). Dissolves salt & leaves a protective coating to inhibit corrosion."

http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/content/new.aspx

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

WD-40 is unlikely to be much help in this application. As others have mentioned, the "WD" in the name stands for "Water Displacement". Its design purpose was, and still is, to get into places where water is hiding, and push the water out. It has no particular anti-corrosion or penetrating action.

A better product for the steel screws, at least, would be plain old penetrating oil. It is specifically intended to work its way into microscopic voids in corroded or rusted metal, coat the little grains of rust or corrosion, and provide a little lubrication so you can get the pieces (including screws) apart. The idea is to put on a dollop of penetrating oil, so that there is a puddle of liquid on the frozen part, and let it sit and soak in. After an hour, add a bit more if needed. Tap the part every once in a while to help it penetrate. It will work without tapping, but it may take longer.  Don't rush the process - it is not a magic instant-relief product. It might even take overnight, depending on how tight (or how delicate) the corroded part is.

There are several different brands of penetrating oil out there, which to me is an indication that it is a good product, rather than some lone kitchen chemist's magic potion. The one I get from the hardware store is called Liquid Wrench. Comes in a yellow bottle or yellow spray can.

Bill

Sargeguy

Thanks, I just dug up an old can of Liquid Wrench from my collection of half-empty spray cans and had enough left to coat it.  We will see!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

One other thing I should have mentioned - and you probably already know this - is that when you are trying to unscrew a stuck screw, you should apply torque alternately in both directions. In other words, try to turn it in the "loosen" direction, then reverse and try to turn it in the "tighten" direction. This helps to break the corrosion free.

Bill