News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This happens every year

Started by Kenny C, April 22, 2010, 12:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Well tommorrow I will do some thing I do every year.I am going to set 4 dozen and 5 eggs of our hens eggs. In three weeks I could be the father of 53 chicks I will post pictures as I go along.I have to get up and turn 53 eggs for 3 weeks and it is a job to keep them in our laundry room. But I will get 106 dollars for the whole lot if they hatch wish me luck. My grandma usually helps me but i am flying solo this year. I will put pics of the fruit of my labor on here later.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Bill Cahill

Look forward to pictures. Best of luck!
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

DANIELPHONEFREAK

well,sounds like us last year.
we got 46 from the 4-H in addition to the 25
we already had.so we had 86 chickens running around
2 acer fenced in lot on our 5-acer property.
now we live in town(i hate it.rather 5 acers)
so we can not do it in town so says the "health dept."
that came to the door after the neighbors were raising heck
about it :D
that's the story.

Daniel Lode.
c*net:821-9940

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Good deal Kenny,
I have 3 hens, Supposedly they are  Buff orpintons, but I think they are Rhode islands, I had 3 plymouths, that are with a friend. Hers got et by a fox and my rocks were mean.So she is storing them for now.

Any suggestion on stopping the rocks from plucking the others. I will be getting them back soon.

Local ordnance allows 10 hens.We raised these from chicks last year. It was a great experience for my "city" Girls and wife. My parents were farmers, Chicks and ducklings were normal in my youth, we lived across the street from my school and took field trips to my yard.

You are very lucky to "live the rural life", It is great for the "proper perspective of life" You will see what I mean when you are older.

Till then, What should I do about the feather plucker's, You know more about chickens  than I do.

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

you can clip the top point on their beak off. but you have to have a  speical tool for it i think. It does not hurt them as long as you do not over do it. they can still eat and drink
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
Couldn't we just council the Rocks, that it's not acceptable behavior to pluck the feathers out of the other chickens ? With a stern warning  that the next offense will be removal of their mash for a week. Then if it continues, we will cut their heads off and eat them. (Make sure not to let on that this is what's going to happen anyhow.)
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

Lil we could start A.C.A(Aggressive  Chickens  Anonymous)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Dan, I know someone that can help you out with those chickens.  His name is Col. Harlan Sanders.  (Wait, I think he may be dead now). :)

Dan/Panther

Did they cover him with 11 herbs and spices, then fry him up ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

the number is 5 hatched and 6 piped and one deceased
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Thanks for the info Kenny, I don't want to de-beak the chicken. Someone suggest a bit of vinegar in the water. I will try that.

As far as eating the problem hen. It is to much hassle to create dinner. I can get a seasoned rotisserie (cooked) chicken at Sam's for $5-6.
I could always let it free and let the foxes take care of the problem :o

If the hen is still a problem, then I will give it away. I know several people that would probably take it.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stub

Jim,
        Most kids won't eat a chicken with a first name anyway!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jim Stettler

Quote from: stub1953 on May 12, 2010, 11:54:23 PM
Jim,
        Most kids won't eat a chicken with a first name anyway!!!   stub
The problem chicken is Quasimodo.