News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fake Candlestick

Started by HarrySmith, June 20, 2018, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Here is a recent auction using the famous November 1910 transmitter cup!Also includes an AE dial & a broken receiver. I hope nobody falls for this one.
Beware of any stick with this date marking!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323310610088
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Earpiece has a crack and appears to have been maybe glued. Greatest understatement of all time. This guy should run for political office.
Butch Harlow

AL_as_needed

Oh come now, it clearly says "antique" in the listing, once that word is thrown around its worth at least 100$  ;)
TWinbrook7

Key2871

I remember when these were on eBay, all the time, with mostly AE dials, some were WE. But someone in the ATCA was livid when they saw these advertised as " antique" and we're selling for hundreds of dollars. So they made a web site and pointed out all the things that proved they were in fact fake. But it did little to slow down the auctions. I saw several in antique shops over the years, and would tell the person behind the counter that it wasn't a "real candlestick phone".
Only one place did the shop owner let the seller know it was a fake.
I would tell them about how those were never marked like the fake was. I started carrying a photo of my real candlestick with me to prove that the thing was a fake. After a year or so, I never saw any around.
KEN

rdelius

Remember these parts will interchange with origional so you could "grow" inventroy by adding  1 repro part to every old one .20ALs become 50Als etc

Sargeguy

There is a sticky post in the Candlestick phone section on the subject, anyone looking to purchase a candlestick should check it out:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7877.0
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

That post was related to the GPO type. those spotting points will not work on WE ones.Possibly combine things?

Sargeguy

There is a sticky post on WE candlesticks, I had already added the GPO information to it
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409