"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New user with some old phone questions

Started by larsj356, March 05, 2011, 03:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larsj356

Hi,
I am a new user to the site and have been enjoying all of the information about these great vintage phones. I just picked up a Western Electric model 211 space saver I believe? I wired in a modern cord to the wall phone jack and it works well. I don't have the subset and was wondering if it's possible to configure it to ring a generic ringer? I can hear the other party but not as loudly as a modern phone. Is this normal for the old phones or does something need to be cleaned? Also the gentleman I bought it from mentioned it was in use at the Alcatraz state prison. Is there anyway to confirm this from the paper tag? The ear and mouth pieces are dated 1952 on the inside.

Thanks
-Larry

Phonesrfun

Larry:

Welcome to the forum.

You really should not have a 211 hooked directly to the phone wiring in the long-term without going through a subset.   It can demagnetize the receiver element over time, and will probably make a lot of loud clicks in your ear when dialing or hanging up.  You should either get a subset or make a simple "cheater" circuit from an inexpensive resistor and capacitor.

As far as authenticating things like that, there is nothing for certain.  The paper dial center is something that readily comes out, and could have been replaced many times over.  If the paper actually says something on it identifying it to the Federal Penetentiary or something of the like, the chances are perhaps much higher that it could have been from there, but no guarantees.  
-Bill G

dsk

Quote from: larsj356 on March 05, 2011, 03:58:55 PM
Hi,
I am a new user to the site and have been enjoying all of the information about these great vintage phones. I just picked up a Western Electric model 211 space saver I believe? I wired in a modern cord to the wall phone jack and it works well. I don't have the subset and was wondering if it's possible to configure it to ring a generic ringer? I can hear the other party but not as loudly as a modern phone. Is this normal for the old phones or does something need to be cleaned? Also the gentleman I bought it from mentioned it was in use at the Alcatraz state prison. Is there anyway to confirm this from the paper tag? The ear and mouth pieces are dated 1952 on the inside.

Thanks
-Larry

Welcome.
I have never even seen a space saver. (Living in Norway) but from the diagrams:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=346&Itemid=27

You should definitely have a sub set. You may make it from e.g. an old 500 telephone, or even a ringer, a capacitor and a transformer/coil. Depending on what you have....
You have obviously know-how enough to make it working without the subset. The strongest signal will be with the transmitter and receiver in series, as far as you run it without a subset.

Again Welcome.

dsk

larsj356

Will any subset work or should I stick with the same manufacture? Does anyone have a schematic for the cheater circuit mentioned that allows the phone to operate and ring correctly?

Thanks
Larry

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

If this digram is the right: http://tinyurl.com/5s667fh
then you may use almost whatever you find.

You may make a simple one by using a little coil, a 1μF (200V) capacitor and a resistor.
A ringer could be put in too. (The capacitor may be used to the ringer too.

If you have a ringer in a box, you could probably squeeze the rest in there too.

dsk

larsj356

I believe it's a F1 handset. What's the easiest way to post a pic here.

Thanks
Larry

Kenny C

While you are typing a post, Click Additional Options right above the post button. And select your photo.
Kenny C.

BTW. Welcome to the forum!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

larsj356

Here are a few pics.

Larry

rdelius

Wow not a common 211 but a 201? I beleive These were early to mid 1930s.Should have an E1 handset. The mounting bracket for these are hard to find if missing
Robby

djtownsend

The bracket is sold by Oldphoneworks for $20.  I did a search for '211 bracket'.

rdelius

A 211 bracket will not fit this telephone .This is an earlier set,I beleive a 201 (C1?) mounting. the bracket mounts on the side.

ESalter

That's right.  I have two of them, just one bracket.  The hardest to find part of these isn't the bracket, but the bracket mounting screws, they're 8-36 thread which is pretty difficult to obtain nowadays.

Ed D

Some questions about the mounting screws:

1) How long are they? (from the underside of the head to the end of the threaded shaft)

2) Are they round headed with a slot for a regular screwdriver?

3) Are they plated steel, or brass, or what?

They may not be that hard to find, depending on the answers to these questions.

Ed

rdelius

the screws are appprox 1/2 long, standard slot,black or nickel finish. You might find it easier to re tap the holes for a more common thread.
Robby