News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo white 500U

Started by cihensley@aol.com, January 15, 2011, 04:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Yes, I have come across a few where everything else was fine except the corners, and I have also obseved the leather feet do not have that problem.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Craig T

Another beauty in the works, nice selection Chuck!

Dennis Markham

Chuck, if you were so inclined, I'll bet Dennis Hallworth could put leather feet on there for you.  Although I believe the leather foot pads were discontinued about August of 1958 there may have still been some around in October of that year.  You might have to send a donor base with this one so he has the necessary parts.  You could remove the Neoprene pads before shipping it to him and clean the base up a bit.

I've had him recover leather pads on a 500 before and they turn out beautifully.

HarrySmith

I was thinking the same thing! I you have a scrap base with screw on leather feet simply send him the feet. While he is recovering them you can clean up the base.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Harry, you wouldn't want screw on leather feet.  Those are for the 300 series phones.  The 500 feet are riveted in place.

oldphon

I think the effects of the neoprene feet are also determined by moisture level in storage.  I think they may actually harbor moisture, and not allow it to dry.  I was looking at a set last weekend that had gotten damp, and it was now completely dry, except for the feet which seemed to be weeping a brown liquid.

cihensley@aol.com

The comments seem to indicate the rubber feet are causing a problem. I will Remove them from The 500U base. Using some tips from Jorge I will restore the base. Then I will send the base to Dennis with four leather feet from an old 500 base (I think I have one) for re-covering and riveting to the 500U base.

Chuck

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the base of the 500U with the rived rubber feet removed. The rust is more prevalent on the metal underneath where the feet were. This seems to match the contention of some Forum members that the rubber feet are the source of the rust. I found leather feet on the base of a 1-55 white 500 in my junk boxes. After I restore the 500U base I will send it with the leather feet to Dennis for re-covering and mounting.

Chuck

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the restored white 500U. Not fully white white as discussed in another thread. The feet were flawlessly recovered and riveted by Dennis (Decins).

Chuck

Doug Rose

WOW!!!!   just      WOW!!!!!
Kidphone

Adam

Excellent!  You should be very proud!

Know what would be really cool yet totally contrary to the reason for the 500U?  A 500U with a dial-blank!  Anybody have one that they could put together just for a picture?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Tom B

Tom

jsowers

Chuck, you did a wonderful job on that 500U, and especially covering/removing the rusty spots on the bottom. How did you do that? I think it's plenty white enough.

Do you have a 4-conductor mounting cord for it? I bet that would be hard to find.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Chuck.  The foot pads look great as does the bottom.  I agree with Jonathan, it looks pretty white to me.  Nice addition to your collection.

cihensley@aol.com

Thank you all. Jsowers - Jorge gave me some tips on how to refinish the base. I removed the rust with metal brush bits in a Dremel tool.

Chuck