News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Phone Works (Positive)

Started by George Knighton, December 02, 2012, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

Placed an order for a custom thermoplastic 302 that I wanted to be 100% plug and play, looking good, and 100% reliable with a Rotatone.

Got it to me in a week and a half, and it looks great and works great.

It wasn't the cheapest way to go, but I am definitely more than satisfied with the looks and operation.
Annoying new poster.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: George Knighton on December 02, 2012, 09:11:03 PM
Placed an order for a custom thermoplastic 302 that I wanted to be 100% plug and play, looking good, and 100% reliable with a Rotatone.

Got it to me in a week and a half, and it looks great and works great.

It wasn't the cheapest way to go, but I am definitely more than satisfied with the looks and operation.

Oh, I bet that put a pretty dent in your wallet. wink wink
Ben

Babybearjs

OPW has my business when I can afford to buy! great source for parts!
John

George Knighton

I have continued to order small parts from him/them to use in various little restoration projects, and I am continuing to have great good luck.

As you might expect when someone's a nation away, and trying to keep small specialty parts in production, the only complaint anybody would have is that things seem to always take a little bit longer because of the production demands and the cross-country shipping.
Annoying new poster.

Babybearjs

I ordered some cords from them this last month, got someone elses order in my box.... I'm right in the middle of having my home remodeled and haven't had time to get the box sent back.... be sure to check your orders, someone is not paying attention to what goes where.... is delays my projects... BTW, has anyone got my order by mistake??   John
John

Charles

I just acquired this beautiful Western Electric 302 from Old Phone Works. The phone is stunning (inside and out). I am very impressed with their customer service and commitment to quality (see attached pictures).

Babybearjs

I just got another order from them... something is going on with them though.... my last order, they sent me someone elses order...(mislabeled) and with this latest order the line cords that I ordered are actually subset cords.... they will still work, but OPW is having issues!
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 30, 2014, 04:50:01 AM
I just got another order from them... something is going on with them though.... my last order, they sent me someone elses order...(mislabeled) and with this latest order the line cords that I ordered are actually subset cords.... they will still work, but OPW is having issues!
I have found them to be very responsive to shipping mistakes and such.

Logan1

Every time I order from them the minimum shipping cost is about 20.00 shipping no matter the cost of the order.
Worked at Western Electric in Plymouth Mich

tallguy58

Don should give all members here a permanent shipping discount.  ;D ;D
Cheers........Bill

Doug Rose

Quote from: Charles on April 28, 2014, 10:39:41 PM
I just acquired this beautiful Western Electric 302 from Old Phone Works. The phone is stunning (inside and out). I am very impressed with their customer service and commitment to quality (see attached pictures).
Quote from: Charles on April 28, 2014, 10:39:41 PM
Charles....this is just an observation on your phone. The inside of the base was painted gray or all the paint was sanded off, including the dates.  Was it a Northern or a incorrect year? You will never know. The base on a 302 will always have a date that should have been 8/39 as your ringer is and the coil matches with a III 39 date. The dial is a way later add, looks like maybe a 6E with the additional contact. I have never seen a black cover like that....ever.  The handset elements should also have been dated 8/39.  A 302 never came with black cloth cords. I am trying to educate you and not insult you. When getting a good phone, you want the dates to match and the dial to be correct. Dials are important in any phone. It took me a long time to know this, but I didn't have the Forum to help me.  It should have been a 5H dated 8/39. This was a built phone from parts.  I know this probably makes you upset with me, but in the long run you will thank me. We have all been taken advantage off. I have been burned many times when I started by a company like this. They had upgraded dials. They took the real dial out and sold it separately and gave a plastic cheapie. I learned from the school of hard knocks. Companies like this will do you no favors, you will learn from this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Your phone is great for the person who wants an old phone sitting in their living room, but not for the collector.....Doug
Kidphone

Nick in Manitou

QUESTION:

Is Old Phone Works the place to buy line cords?

I needed two line cords for the AE 40 and AE 80 I picked up a few weeks ago and just ordered some from Old Phone Works.

I was a bit confused by the shipping information, but it was late in the evening and I should have been asleep.

Thanks,
Nick

Babybearjs

John

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for the reply, John.

(I like that...just one word, unequivocal, definite.)

oldphoneworks

Doug Rose - you are using very strong words with regard to the 302 products sold by Oldphoneworks.  We aren't claiming to be offering phones configured exactly as they came from the factory (although that is a value added option.). Our phones are built for the consumer market using original parts and repro cords.  When ordering a phone, customers have the option of selecting dial type, trim options, cord color, etc.  and the phone price is set by the options selected.  We also offer many options not available from the OEM including brass and chrome handset bands on F1handsets, pulse to tone upgrades, and colors never offered by WE in 302s including baby blue, pink and orange. These are all customer options- they aren't something that we do to rip the customer off.  personally I like black cloth cords on a black 302.  I think they look great, regardless of the fact that WE didn't configure 302s that way). It funny that you say that companies like this will do you no favors.  I maintain that OPW bends over backwards to provide flexibility and options that are available no where else in the industry.  On top of that, our refurbishing process is amongst the best in the industry.

Clearly Doug, you are a purist when it come to phones, and I can certainly respect that approach to collecting.  It's important to remember, however, that phones were continuously upgraded and serviced with new parts while in active use.  They were improved with new parts and technology as it developed.  Oldphoneworks continues that tradition in the 21st century. 

It's nice when you can find a phone with all original parts, and we do offer date matched phones upon request.  It is, however, an expensive option given the amount of work that it takes for us to refurbish such a phone to our high standards.

Keep in mind Doug that it it wasn't for companies like Oldphoneworks, there wouldn't be products like new cloth covered cords, pulse to tone converters, reproduction mouthpieces and receivers, etc, available to the collector community.

No reputable company is in business to rip their customers off.  They offer products and services, and if the customers like those products and services, the company will prosper.  If not, the company will quickly fail.  Oldphoneworks has been offering products to consumers and collectors for almost 15 years.  We take great pride in our customer service, and our product offerings.  Yes, we aren't perfect, but we do try to address our mistakes in the best interest of the customer.

Separate note to tallguy58 and others.  OPW would love to give shipping discounts, but shipping already costs us about $1000 more each month that we collect in shipping charges.  Shipping from Canada across the border is very expensive.  There are sometimes cheaper options (ie - regular mail,) but we can't provide tracking info so we generally don't use them.

Don Woodbury