"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Multi-Line Northern Electric Won't ring

Started by tsihugou, November 08, 2013, 02:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsihugou

Hello all,

I don't know anything about telephones at all, but last summer at a flea market I found this telephone which was sold to me as non-working. With a new wire that I order, I managed to get the line and dialing works. The only trouble is that the phone won't ring. What should I connect to this it work? Also, for some reason, only the 2nd line works on my regular telephone line.

The old wire has been cut and it contains loads of mini wires inside. The new wire I bought has four mini wires inside: red, green, black and yellow. By connecting the red and the green I managed to get the line and to successfully dial. The question is, what shall I connect to get this phone to work again?

Also, the bakelite has paint spots on it. How can I get rid of these and how can I get the bakelite to shine again?

poplar1

Move the Red (ringer) and Yellow (capacitor) cloth covered wires from 2R and 2T to 1R and 1T. The ringer is currently connected to line 2, but you probably have only one line, which is connected to 1R (red) and 1T (green).

Quote from: tsihugou on November 08, 2013, 02:12:01 PM
Hello all,

I don't know anything about telephones at all, but last summer at a flea market I found this telephone which was sold to me as non-working. With a new wire that I order, I managed to get the line and dialing works. The only trouble is that the phone won't ring. What should I connect to this it work? Also, for some reason, only the 2nd line works on my regular telephone line.

The old wire has been cut and it contains loads of mini wires inside. The new wire I bought has four mini wires inside: red, green, black and yellow. By connecting the red and the green I managed to get the line and to successfully dial. The question is, what shall I connect to get this phone to work again?

Also, the bakelite has paint spots on it. How can I get rid of these and how can I get the bakelite to shine again?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Or, if you would like to have a ringer cut-off feature, you can just move the new line cord from 1R and 1T  to L1 and L2Y on the 101A induction coil.

Then you will have dial tone without pressing a button, but if you want the phone to ring, leave the 3rd button from the left pushed down.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tsihugou

Thank you so much, the phone rings now! I am so very grateful!

AE_Collector

Too bad that big cloth cord is cut short. I would resist the temptation to remove and discard it though as I think it still looks better with the cord attached. You may want to disconnect the line cord leads off of line 1 inside the phone to prevent a short.

You could do what we like to do with regular phones that have the old cords without a plug on the end. Get one of the surface mount "box" type jacks and mount it to the end of your cord using the appropriate leads for line 1 to the screw terminals in the jack. Then you can plug a regular double ended phone cord into that jack and the other end into your wall jack to make it work "through" the existing short cloth cord. You will likely have to do some carving of the plastic cover for the jack to get the cord on this phone into it though!

This eliminates the need to remove any cords or cut off spade lugs on regular old phone cords.

Terry

Contempra

I confirm... I already took a choc on this. I mean i had a finger when i was testing a network and I asked to a friend, """" I test a phone so call me because I want to know  if this phone ring ....""" I can tell you It tickles the senses ouff

Pay attention and don't put your fingers in the network when a phone ring...You'll quickly go back one or two I can assure you.. :D

AE_Collector

Quote from: Contempra on November 08, 2013, 05:34:53 PM
took a choc

took a SHOCK.

After 37 1/2 years in the phone biz....I have taken a few choc's as well Contempra!

Terry

HarrySmith

I am sure we all have been bitten by ring voltage before ;)
When I was new to phones I held the ringer wires to the network with my fingers and had my wife call the phone to test the ringer. WOWW!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 08, 2013, 06:29:16 PM
Quote from: Contempra on November 08, 2013, 05:34:53 PM
took a choc

took a SHOCK.

After 37 1/2 years in the phone biz....I have taken a few choc's as well Contempra!

Terry

oh sorry for the mistake " choc = shock " .....:D       even in English i'm a newbie Terry.

Contempra

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 08, 2013, 07:18:00 PM
I am sure we all have been bitten by ring voltage before ;)
When I was new to phones I held the ringer wires to the network with my fingers and had my wife call the phone to test the ringer. WOWW!

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww hein !..hahahahahaha !!!..however, the next time don't put your fingers  where do not... on your wife no problem because there is no current flowing. Finally, the same current hope

AE_Collector

Quote from: Contempra on November 08, 2013, 08:12:07 PM
oh sorry for the mistake " choc = shock " .....:D       even in English i'm a newbie Terry.

Not a problem at all Contempra, I just thought that you wouldn't mind me helping you out with that one.

Terry