News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 2AB dial

Started by oldtvsandtoys, December 15, 2011, 06:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtvsandtoys

I have a Western Electric 2AB dial from a 1930 linemen  test set. It runs fast maybe 12 PPS How can I slow it down?  Thanks ???

Phonesrfun

The test sets probably ran a little fast on purpose.  However, the speed is controlled by loosening a little set screw on the flywheel in the governor chamber.

The little screw, when loosened allows the adjusting tab to be moved within the parameters of the slotted hole under the screw head.

You need to be very careful not to booger up the spring inside the governor and do not lubricate inside the governor either. 

It's not as delicate as watch or clock repair, but it is more delicate than working on a car!

Good luck.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Or you could send it to Steve and for $6.00 get back a perfectly calibrated, cleaned and lubed dial!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldtvsandtoys

That was it Running about 10 pps now. Thanks
The test sets probably ran a little fast on purpose.  However, the speed is controlled by loosening a little set screw on the flywheel in the governor chamber.

The little screw, when loosened allows the adjusting tab to be moved within the parameters of the slotted hole under the screw head.

You need to be very careful not to booger up the spring inside the governor and do not lubricate inside the governor either. 

It's not as delicate as watch or clock repair, but it is more delicate than working on a car!

Good luck.
[/quote]

Tim Mc

I have a 2AB dial in my 51AL that's running fast.  I've adjusted the governor a few times and am able slow it down, but after it sits for a while it speeds up again.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I can adjust the governor to where it slows it down to a crawl, so maybe I'll mess with it one or two more times or switch out the governor with another dial.  If I can't get it slowed down permanently, then I'll ship it off to Steve Hilsz.