News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Amazing 302 with G1 handset on Ebay

Started by JimH, January 13, 2009, 07:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

It's amazing what people have tried to do to telephones.  I wonder if it's really wired in and how they got it to sit in the cradle properly.  I guess they could always take a file to it!   ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120361820532&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
( dead link 07-14-21 )
Jim H.

bingster

They didn't get it to sit in the cradle properly.  In the photo that shows it in the cradle, you can see the handset tipped up at the back.  I tried a "G" in bakelite, and it's heavy enough to depress the plungers if you place it very carefully.  Later "G" handsets seem to be too light to do the job.  None of them fits right, though.
= DARRIN =

JimH

Here's a fun page on Paul F's website that shows many telephone curiosities:

http://www.paul-f.com/whydid.htm
Jim H.

HobieSport

Will wonders never cease.  Henry Dreyfuss in reverse.  It doesn't work.

McHeath

Ugh.  Now while a G handset looks nice on a 354 this is the first I've seen of one on a 302, and it's not working.  As they say in fashion, the handset is wearing the phone.

Dennis Markham

I guess we can never say that we've seen it all.  This however is the first time I've ever seen a G handset on a 302.  It would take a little bit of effort to strip the outer insulation in order to get leads long enough to reach the places to connect it...on the phone end.  Let's see how fast that sells.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 13, 2009, 10:45:54 AM
I guess we can never say that we've seen it all.  This however is the first time I've ever seen a G handset on a 302.  It would take a little bit of effort to strip the outer insulation in order to get leads long enough to reach the places to connect it...on the phone end.  Let's see how fast that sells.

me to, this is the first time I've seen a phone like this

like in architecture and interior design, a modern design element integrated into a classic environment

Sargeguy

What is even more amazing is that the seller, after receiving no bids on it, decided to re-list it at an even higher price with a higher Buy-It-Now.   ???  He even incresed his shipping by $10.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Perhaps the sellers' cradle doesn't fit right and the wiring is a bit crossed.
I wonder if you could hear static if you attached a battery.
And I'm not talking about the telephone. ;)

http://tinyurl.com/89ka9g ???

All I can think of is that the seller is attempting the marketing technique of sometimes people think something is more valuable simply because the price is higher.

Perry

If there is one thing I have learned about eBay, it is that there is often no logic there. I have seen many items get no bids, then get relisted and have a bidding war ensue, and sell for much more than they really should. It will be interesting to see if this phone sells at the new, higher price, or if the seller relists it at a higher price if it doesn't. In looking at phone auctions, I have seen a few phones that look nice, but have a really high "buy it now" price, get relisted time after time. Maybe someone buys them eventually, or the sellers just give up?

BTW, not too long ago, I saw a much rougher-looking 302 (it looked like it had been buried in a gravel pit) on sale in a local antique store for about $300.

benhutcherson

Absolutely amazing-most sellers lower the BIN price when the item doesn't sell the first time around.

Even $35 would have been too high for a non-dial 302 in that kind of shape with the proper handset.

HobieSport

He also has an 8-track tape player for ONLY $100.. ???
Bargains galore it seems. ;)

Sargeguy

It looks like he dropped the price to $20, but the shipping is still $25 :P
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

$25, I wouldn't touch that. Total rip in shipping. Plus, someones frankenphone. Hard to tell, but it looks like the transmitter may be one of those 5302 conversions using the F1 transmitter capsule. Maybe?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI