News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 182 Starlite Problems

Started by b3tamax11, May 23, 2016, 12:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Is that the same dial you posted in the Wanted section?
It seems to be missing one wire.

b3tamax11

Yes it is the same dial, and now that I notice, you're right. It is missing the brown wire from the dial to terminal 9.

stub

Here's a pic .   Your missing a blue wire on your dial that goes to network #1 . The brown is not used on your dial.  Here's your dial in the middle .  The line in cord is 5 conductor.  stub

left click on pic to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

For pulsing out the signal, yellow and blue are the only 2 important wires. The other ones are for not getting loud clicking in the receiver etc. The brown was not always there because it was an extra for special use on party lines.

dsk

unbeldi

In your first picture of the base with transmission unit I see a blue wire running out of the picture in a group with red, yellow, white and black wires.  I assume the blue one is the wire broken off from the dial terminal.   An open circuit like that, especially with a long wire acting as an antenna can certainly pickup inductive noise from nearby sources.

Your dial looks actually pretty good, no need for a new one, just solder that wire back onto its rightful place.  Then we can see what problems remain.

b3tamax11

Good news everyone! I soldered the blue wire back into the dial, wired it all back up, and plugged it in. Dial Tone!!!! I then dialed out with the set, and it works great!!! The phone is pretty much 100% functional now, aside from the missing ringer which I will get next, then I can start looking into potentially getting the dial illuminated again, as my dial actually is the illuminating type. Thanks everyone for your help, I very much appreciate it!!!! Here's a picture of my (first time) solder job.

stub

b3tamax11,
                 Here's the rest of what you need to get power to your dial light. I'll try to see if I have the 5 conductor line in cord in blue.        stub

( picture belongs to AE_Collector.  )           
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Oh...FMN (Forget Me Not) Blue...I just woke up....I have some brand new 5 conductor FMN Blue Starlite cords and can likely round up a ringer and may be able to part with one more current limiting plug. See what you've got Stub.

Terry

dsk

Great!  Congratulations!

Extremely observant to see that blue wire was broken!

dsk

b3tamax11

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 27, 2016, 12:13:36 AM
Oh...FMN (Forget Me Not) Blue...I just woke up....I have some brand new 5 conductor FMN Blue Starlite cords and can likely round up a ringer and may be able to part with one more current limiting plug. See what you've got Stub.

Terry

Thanks! Let me know what you have. Do you think my dimmer switch should still be good?

stub

b3tamax11,
                  Your switch should still be good , the only problem I found is where the wire connectors are bonded to the metal plate underneath the dial where the two black wires are plugged in . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Thanks to other members here, and especially Terry and Stub, I learned a lot and got mine in working order some years ago, later I got one more, and in a house full of phones, these are the only 2 of same model hooked up.  I have learned to like AE phones too.

Since I am living in Norway, I had to make my own adapters suitable for 230V 50Hz   

dsk

PS mine:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5690.25
DS

stub

b3tamax11 ,
                  Looked thru cords and all I had were 2 turquoise ,1 white. Sorry.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

b3tamax11

Quote from: stub on May 27, 2016, 11:05:54 PM
b3tamax11 ,
                  Looked thru cords and all I had were 2 turquoise ,1 white. Sorry.   stub

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it!

AE_Collector

Okay, hopefully this is everything you need to properly hook up your Starlite to 120VAC and make it ring.

- Ringer is tested and capacitor is with it.

- Current limiting plug for Starlite phone tested good. (The 120V part, not the current limiting part though I can see the resistors inside.)

- New Forget Me Not Blue 5 conductor cord. In Canada CSA made AE supply cords with stranded twisted conductors for the AC rather than 5 conductor tinsel type cords that were used in the USA to the best of my knowledge.

- Block to connect the phone cord and the AC feed (use lamp,cord from plug to block) to the telephone line. While the outside of these blocks look pretty much identical to the AE supplied blocks right down to the diamond shaped (?) raised lid, this block is actually a NT QBB1A block not an AE 13C (I Think that was the AE number?). I have several of the AE blocks but only with 3 terminals inside for normal phone cords and the AE blocks are a dark beige colour where as the NT block looks to be their "Chameleon Gray" colour and has 4 terminals inside.

Terry