News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

awesome christmas gift

Started by Babybearjs, November 19, 2014, 11:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I was paging through Ebay this morning and came across these, awesome USB thumbdrives... quite pricey, but for you electronic buffs, the perfect gift....
John

Russ Kirk

Cool, steampunk-ish. But looks very fragile.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Phonesrfun

Are they actual thumb drives with memory, or just fancy lights hat plug into the USB port?
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

I hope that no good, working vacuum tubes were sacrificed to make those things.  Some tubes are in short supply these days.

Larry

Kenton K

I agree. The word steampunk gives me shivers!  :'(

paul-f

There's an amazing variety!  Thanks for pointing them out.

A good selection is returned with an ebay search for:

(tube,steampunk) usb flash drive
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 19, 2014, 02:03:11 PM
Are they actual thumb drives with memory, or just fancy lights hat plug into the USB port?

For posterity, they come up with 8, 16, 32 and 64 Bbytes and quite pricey with the highest BIN for the largest thumb drive (64 Gb) being just under $160. The design also affects the price. The eBay search terms [ (tube,steampunk) usb flash drive ] given by paul-f above works well.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on November 19, 2014, 05:42:23 PM
I agree. The word steampunk gives me shivers!  :'(
I double-agree. To me, "Steampunk" is a desperate attempt for an "artist" to describe something very valuable that they destroyed before they found out that it used to be worth four figures...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

Quote from: TelePlay on November 19, 2014, 09:07:28 PM
For posterity, they come up with 8, 16, 32 and 64 Bbytes and quite pricey with the highest BIN for the largest thumb drive (64 Gb) being just under $160.

That's absolutely riddiculous!, although the idea of a 64 Gb vacuum tube would have many people wondering about the technology.

Most likely, they took an old (hopefully dead) tube and cut the pins off the bottom.  Then used epoxy to glue thr shortened tube to a home made tube base socket with a memory chip and colored LED.

Pretty expensive thumbdrive.
-Bill G

Russ Kirk

Bill,  I think you have it correct how they made them.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Babybearjs

pretty expensive.... but not for you "phone-Techs" that make good money! they make great stocking stuffers!
John