News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

In the Aftermath of the Storm....

Started by DavePEI, February 06, 2015, 03:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Let you in on a bit of History. Two years ago, we had a family of foxes who had a den on our property. We loved watching Mama fox and her kits as she raised them to young adults.

Last year, we never saw one fox. Last weekend a young fox began visiting us each day. Here is a photo of the beauty I managed to get through a frosty window today!

Yes, it off topic, but he/she is beautiful! This is one of the great things about living in the country!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Great picture, hope it comes back so you can get more.

HarrySmith

Nice shot! Maybe one of the kits is coming back to nest??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

Dave,  that is really cool! 

But if that was near me my 3 Basset Hounds would go nuts! That is if they ever got of the couch to look out the window!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

DavePEI

Quote from: Autonut on February 06, 2015, 05:11:34 PM
Great picture, hope it comes back so you can get more.
I hope it is female and that it builds its den on our property. Two years ago we had a family grow up here - there is nothing as much fun as watching 4 kits play in the yard! They used to chase each other around - there is a cut off stump near where the den was, and every so often, one would jump onto it and ambush the others running by.

It was hilarious. Somewhere they found an old rubber boot, and they took turns practicing "capturing" the boot. Momma was quite protective of them, but just before they left, she brought each one up to meet us.

It was beautiful. We have missed them and are so happy this one appears to have "adopted" us! We love foxes - too bad there are others who don't value them  aside from their coats!

And when there are foxes around, you will see very few mice! Often, I have seen them walking on the road, then all of a sudden, they will levitate and drop into the ditch, and climb out with a rodent in mouth! It is amusing, as they will bounce straight up several feet, and land right where the mouse is.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

What a beautiful animal! One of the kits probably came back to it's first den, because it knew that was a great place for shelter!

If it comes back, please get more pictures!! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 06, 2015, 05:59:28 PM
Here is a photo of Momma Fox from two years ago introducing one of her kits to us! Momma is on the left. I hate posting something completely unrelated to phones, but everyone has to have more than one passion, and I love our local wildlife!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

My sister told me to tell you (Dave) that she says those foxes look "cute and pretty", after she cried; "AWWWWW!!!!!" She's starting to act more like a 5-year-old than a 13-year-old... ::)
Christian Petterson

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 06, 2015, 08:07:23 PM
My sister told me to tell you (Dave) that she says those foxes look "cute and pretty", after she cried; "AWWWWW!!!!!" She's starting to act more like a 5-year-old than a 13-year-old... ::)
You should see them when they are only a month or so old and playing. I don't have any photos from then, because Momma was really protective of them, and would have moved them has we gone too close. However, we sure loved watching them from afar until she finally decided it was time!

She had them well trained. Even if she wasn't home at the time, if we got too close, they all would make a beeline into their den. Nut we would sit on our deck and had a ball watching them play!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on February 06, 2015, 07:16:13 PM
Here is a photo of Momma Fox from two years ago introducing one of her kits to us! Momma is on the left. I hate posting something completely unrelated to phones, but everyone has to have more than one passion, and I love our local wildlife!

That's what the Off Topic section is for, stuff unrelated to phones.  Nice pics!  I do hope you're not feeding them?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on February 07, 2015, 09:59:04 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on February 06, 2015, 07:16:13 PM

That's what the Off Topic section is for, stuff unrelated to phones.  Nice pics!  I do hope you're not feeding them?
It would actually be kinda weird if someone posted something specifically related to phones in the Off Topic section! ;D
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

They are beautiful animals, but I'd be worried they would eat my cat.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 07, 2015, 10:25:50 PM
They are beautiful animals, but I'd be worried they would eat my cat.

Ben
Actually, that is a common fallacy. Foxes will eat small rodents and birds, and perhaps an lll kitten but never a healthy cat or dog. Actually cats and foxes get along well. We have a neighbour who's cat loved to play with a fox who came visiting each day. They would take turns wrestling, and chasing each other. Apparently, the cat would wait all day for the fox to show up. Two years ago when we had Momma fox visiting every day, one of our cats would sit in the screened window and would talk to the fox!

That brings to mind, a funny story from a few years back. Crows don't like foxes. About a dozen crows were tormenting a fox who dared to stop by. They would dive-bomb the fox to try to drive him away.  This went on for about an hour. Then one of the crows came to close - the fox jumped up and caught it, then trotted off with a take-out meal. She had had enough of those pesky noisy creatures!

A lot of these stories about foxes actually stem from other animals. Another neighbour thought his cat had been injured by a fox - until he saw a coyote tormenting the cat. Sadly, he had had the cat de-clawed, and a few days later, the coyote killed it. Lesson, never de-claw a cat. Firstly it is like cutting off a finger at the knuckle, but secondly, the cat can't defend itself.

Photo of Amber - the one who loves talking to the foxes. She is the same colour as the foxes! Below her hpoto, our other cat, Bobbi.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm not worried about the fox eating my cat, my cat would probably scare those foxes away!

Here are a couple pictures that I quick took of him, next to an ivory F1 for posterity. Riley is the biggest and somehow slimmest cat that I have ever seen. He's also really, really friendly; never hissed, has never tried to hurt anyone, and always yowls for me to spend time with him!

He has a big mouth, doesn't he? :)
Christian Petterson

twocvbloke

You know, I've never seen a wild fox in my life, ones in captivity yes, but, ones that live freely out in the open, nope, not once, next door has chickens though, so the foxes may come this year for a free meal... ;D