News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 334A Subset

Started by RDPipes, April 29, 2022, 10:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I bought this some where quit a few years ago to use with my WE 202, after a careful look at it today I find it
not to be what I thought. The photo below is the network removed from the case so I could strip the old
worn paint. Couldn't make out what network it was from the paper diagram, all I could make out was a pic of a candlestick.  Any help is certainly appreciated. Bells sit outside the case.

TelePlay

Are there any letters and/or numbers stamped anywhere into the wood box, under the paint?

MMikeJBenN27

I think this is from a side-tone subset.

FABphones

Could you add images of the paper diagram, also of front, rear and top of the wooden box.

Zooming in on the paper label on your photo, it appears to have a date of Jan 19.
Cannot quite read the year, perhaps 1897. Hopefully another member can confirm.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on April 29, 2022, 11:35:58 PMAre there any letters and/or numbers stamped anywhere into the wood box, under the paint?
Quote from: FABphones on April 30, 2022, 02:22:08 AMCould you add images of the paper diagram, also of front, rear and top of the wooden box.

Zooming in on the paper label on your photo, it appears to have a date of Jan 19.
Cannot quite read the year, perhaps 1897. Hopefully another member can confirm.

The metal case had no markings I could see inside or out. It was covered with house paint naturally and
was flaking off along with the original black paint, inside was fairly rust ridden.
Only thing legible was the small 4 date patent label and it ended with the date of 1907 I believe. Sadly before I had realized this wasn't a 634, 684 or even a 534 I had blasted all case parts for prep of paint. Duh! Sometimes my brain is way behind my hands. I'll try and get a closer up photo of the capacitor label and post it. Thank you all for your replies.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Wiring diagram (below) from above link. I would print and paste the copy back into the Subset.

A search for WE 334A will offer up quite a few threads which are worth a read.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on April 30, 2022, 09:43:02 AMI believe this is from a Western Electric 334A subset.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12624.0

BINGO! Thank you sir, I was really banging my head on this one because I couldn't find anything in my notes/Docs or on the internet that matched it. Again, Thank you so much sir!

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on April 30, 2022, 10:24:57 AMWiring diagram (below) from above link. I would print and paste the copy back into the Subset.

A search for WE 334A will offer up quite a few threads which are worth a read.

:)

And thank you as well sir, I was worried about replacing it after figuring out it wasn't a 634 or 684.
Much appreciated sir!And I'll certainly check out the threads as well!

RDPipes

Well I reckon I'm still in need of a 634 or 684 subset for my WE 202 w E-1 handset seeing this is a side-tone subset and I believe I need a Anti-side tone.

TelePlay

A D1 desk set with an anti-side tone subset is a 202.

A D1 desk set with a side tone subset is a 102.

Both work as phones. You can use the 334 with your D1 (3 wire mounting cord - 102) until you find a anti-side tone (4 wire mounting cord - 202) subset.

It's up to you.

And, I was thinking you had a wood subset box, not metal. The metal box would have had an ink stamped model number inside it or on the back. IMO, the 334 restored is collectible, don't see then that often.

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on April 30, 2022, 11:32:44 AMA D1 desk set with an anti-side tone subset is a 202.

Both work as phones. You can use the 334 with your D1 (3 wire mounting cord - 102) until you find a anti-side tone (4 wire mounting cord - 202) subset.

It's up to you.

And, I was thinking you had a wood subset box, not metal. The metal box would have had an ink stamped model number inside it or on the back. IMO, the 334 restored is collectible, don't see then that often.

Thank you sir, I reckon I can wait a little longer as I have a subset hooked up to it but, it's has a modern induction coil and ringer in it. And no stamped markings I could see sir, too much rust. Thank you again.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on April 30, 2022, 11:32:44 AMA D1 desk set with an anti-side tone subset is a 202.

I have to disagree. A D1 handset mounting is part of a 102 or a 202: if it has a 3-conductor mounting cord, it is a 102; if it has a 4-conductor mounting cord, it is a 202. This has nothing to do with the type subset used.

An anti-sidetone hand telephone set (202) can be used with either an anti-sidetone subset (634, 684) or with a sidetone subset (295, 334, 534, 584).
When used with a sidetone subset, the black mtg. cord conductor is taped and stored inside the subset.

Likewise, a 151-AL is an anti-sidetone desk stand; so it can be used with an anti-sidetone subset (634, 684,-- or, with a dial blank, a 400K). But it can also be used with a sidetone subset, again with the black conductor taped and stored. This does *not* change the model from a 151-AL to a 51-AL!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

I think that's what I said, using simple words in an abstract overview of the differences.

A 3 vs 4 conductor mounting cord AND the availability of a coil feedback circuit in the subset yields the functional configuration matrix of possibilities.

One of my sources posted long ago on the forum (one of many discussing all possible configurations)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4670.msg153046#msg153046

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on April 30, 2022, 06:17:15 PMI think that's what I said, using simple words in an abstract overview of the differences.

A 3 vs 4 conductor mounting cord AND the availability of a coil feedback circuit in the subset yields the functional configuration matrix of possibilities.

One of my sources posted long ago on the forum (one of many discussing all possible configurations)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4670.msg153046#msg153046

That's how I understood it.