News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help with an ITT Phone that has a Stromberg Carlson ringer that does not work

Started by Badge234, December 27, 2017, 11:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Try loosening the set screw and moving the clapper one way or the other and see if the ringer works better.  The position of the clapper will affect the frequency at which the ringer will work, much like a pendulum on a clock.

Finding a replacement ringer should not be terribly difficult in Montreal.  If you look around, you will likely find a junk phone (500, 554, 2500, 2554 and the like) at a yard sale or thrift shop which will have a usable ringer in it.  Also, I would expect that someone here on the forum has a spare that they could supply for a reasonable price.  There are a number of members in eastern Canada.

Larry

TelePlay

You need one like this. Two screws holding it in and 4 wires to connect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Rotary-Phone-Bell-Ringer-C4A-6-57-Single-Phone-use/292364206996

OldPhoneWorks (in Canada) sell them for $15 plus shipping

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/ringer-500-set.html

There is no way or nothing you can do to get that frequency ringer to work.

If you look around, you may find other suppliers in Canada. $10-20 each is about the current market price for the part.

You could find a junker 500 or similar with a busted case and dial and missing handset to salvage the ringer. Easier to just but a ringer.

Some forum member in you area may have a spare at a good price.

Badge234

OK,

Thanks for your replies. What exactly am I looking for? Is that a CA4 ringer? Are there any other types of ringer that would do (so I can broaden my search parameters)? Besides eBay and maybe Amazon, are there any other sites (keep from the one already provided) where I could find the coveted ringer?

Many thanks to all you helped.

Sincerely,

Paul

TelePlay

Yes, a C4A ringer.

It's frame is the same as the ringer currently in the phone so putting it in would be a direct replacement. Just two screws and a post that sticks into a hole on the end opposite the gongs hold the ringer in place.

I don't think Amazon would have these.

Here is an image showing the 3 mounting points.

Badge234

I checked the links provided. The one one eBay does not ship  to Canada. The other one does but the total cost is a little over 28$ USD. That's over 36$ CAD. A little steep I find since I've already paid about 50$ for the phone. I'll look some more but I'm starting to think that finding a junker phone in a yard sale somewhere might be my only other hope. Unless someone here has one at a good price.

Paul

LarryInMichigan

Unfortunately, the postage rate for a small package from the USA to Canada is outrageously high.  Even a 2lb package from here to Windsor, ON, 15 miles away from here, is US$15.50!  It's almost cheaper to drive it to there.

My suggestion would be to try moving the clapper and the gongs to coax ringing out of the current ringer while looking online and at yard/estate sales for a junk donor phone.  Something like this: kajiji link would likely do it.

Larry

Badge234

OK Guys,

I'd like to hear you on this. I do have 1986 phone I believe is also a model 500. The ringer looks a lot like the one in the pictures above but  it only has 2 wires coming out of it. Black (to L2) and red (to K). It rings fine in it's original case but if I take it out and install it in my 1967 red phone (the one I want to fix) with the same connections, it won't ring. Can it be done or do I absolutely need a 4 wire ringer module?

Paul

poplar1

2-wire ringer:

Black ringer wire to L1 (not L2)
Red ringer wire to K
Move Slate (Solid Gray) hookswitch wire to A (It is probably on L2). Leave Slate-Yellow hookswitch on L2

===OR===

Black ringer wire to L1
Red ringer wire to K
Run a piece of wire to connect L2 to A
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Badge234

Merci/Thank you Poplar!

That did the trick. Ohh that beautiful bell sound.  :)
A pity I had to cannibalize that other phone but all in all, I'm very happy. I like the 1967 red phone better than the 1986 beige phone. Who knows, maybe I'll find another phone or ringer someday to put back in by beige phone.

In the mean time. Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who helped out and gave me advice. Much appreciated!

Paul

HarrySmith

I would keep an eye out for a ringer closer to the date of the phone, a 60's ringer with a metal bracket rather than plastic 80's stuff. It will sound better and be more original.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Badge234

I definitely will. I'm guessing they will be harder and harder to come by with prices to match. But who knows...

Thanks again.

Paul