"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

fake ivory 302?

Started by rdelius, March 16, 2011, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

330541505483 on Ebay
I think this is a new shell modified with old parts.Note groove in caps and handle
Hole modified for a newer AE dial
Robby

paul-f

It looks suspiciously like one of these modern repros that's been selling for a few years - with a dial transplant.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rdelius

I still think the shell is fake. The seller does have a 500 set with a blue case, this might be a good deal if real
Robby

Phonesrfun

It may have leather feet, but that's where all reason stops.  It sure looks like the Crosley case, with the RJ-11 square notch in the back and the obviously Crosley handset and cord.  To make the Frankenphone thing more apparent, they did the equivalent of putting bolts through poor Frakie's neck.  They attached an AE dial, then they totally botched the cut-out for the AE finger stop in the case.

My suspicion is that the case is a Crosely as well.  Lord help us if they took a real ivory phone case and did that little surgery on the back mouse-hole and the finger stop area.

As to whether it is built on a real 302 frame.... Who knows.  The description says there  is a coil inside with a date on it.  So, perhaps the lucky winner gets some (but not all) 302 parts.  The seller calls it a gorgeous GTE Automatic Electric desk set.  The only GTE component is the dial, from what I can see.

I would stay clear of this one.  Very clear.
-Bill G

Kenny C

It is a fake case. Take a close look at the lift in the photo. Its not like any 302 lift Ive ever seen.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

dsk

They have done a good job ;) Never seen a cord like that, and only a few open holes in front of the "transmitter capsule" ?

I'm still not sure, but I would definitely not bid.

dsk

Phonesrfun

The reason it has just two holes in the transmitter cap, and all the rest are decoration is that it used an electret microphone.  This is definitely a Crosley or similar modern version.  I'd almost be willing to bid just so I could see just what's under the hood.
-Bill G

GG

I'm 100% certain it's the Pottery Barn repro (not Crosley) as shown in Paul F's photo (minus the usual dial center label these things came with). 

The Pottery Barn version has round rubberized plastic feet that are mounted to the baseplate with screws, so they could be removed and replaced with leather feet to attempt to further pass this off as some kind of original. 

The Pottery Barn handset cord detail from the Ebay listing also matches Paul's photo.  Also the Pottery Barn version has small-ish hookswitch plungers as seen in the 5th photo in the listing. 

Yes, deliberate fraud.  And a botched job installing the wrong AE dial, which has also been provided with one of those plastic self-stick numberplate overlays (look at the notch in the overlay near the fingerstop).

Someone needs to confront the seller that this is a F-A-K-E, and also report it to Ebay management (who will of course do nothing, but a string of reports to them that are not acted upon can be used to make a great scandal story in the media outlet of your choice). 

OK, so I'm starting to realize that any repro colored phone housings will end up becoming ingredients for fraudsters to use in fleecing the public.   Sheesh, just when you thought people couldn't get any more nasty & rotten....

RDP

I wrote the seller and told him about my doubts and explained why. He has since then added a disclaimer to the auction stating that it may not be original.

GG

RDP, thanks majorly; and someone did likewise for that 1970s Japanese-made repro candlestick.  This is good, we should be on the case any time these kinds of "mistakes" (accidental or otherwise) turn up. 

RDP

Believe it or not, He just replied and thanked me for telling him because he may of had to deal with an irate buyer if let go.

Well I think the real person to thank is you guys, because I may have never came across it and paid enough attention to it without you guys posting it here.

I've come to realize not every seller is out to cheat and should be given the benefit of the doubt even though I've come across many who neither reply nor change there auction.
I had one guy cuss me out for politely giving him some information. First and only thing out of his mouth was F Y M F! I asked him if he ate with that mouth but, no reply. I reckon his mouth was still full of manure.

GG

Per Terry in another topic, I agree we should start out with the assumption that the seller is merely uninformed and needs the information for his/her own benefit so they don't get stuck dealing with irate buyers.   

But when a seller responds by cussing you out, at that point it's reasonable to assume that they intend to mislead others, and report them to Ebay, including providing copies of all correspondence to date (with the nasty language un-edited).