News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Virus Alert!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Phonesrfun, March 10, 2011, 12:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

My computer went crazy with virus crap when I followed the link in a recent post by ngshinong!

I do not know if this new member is doing this on purpose or if it is inadvertant.

Be careful.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill,

I just deleted the post and contacted the author.  He sent me what appears to be a legitimate e-mail requesting registration to the Forum.  The posting that you had trouble with also appeared normal.  I asked that he check his links before posting again. 

Like you, I don't know if the threat was intentional or inadvertent. 

~Dennis

Dennis Markham

I have deleted the member's account that was responsible for the virus threat.  I have sent him an e-mail explaining why and that once he is able to check his computer and/or the photo link he posted he can re-register and give it another shot.  The man is from Malaysia and had questions about a couple of rotary dial phones he wanted to purchase.

There currently is no threat from this source as he cannot post again until his registration request is approved by me---IF he registers again.

His I.P. address did confirm his location which may or may not have anything to do with the virus threat attached to the link he posted.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

Follow-up to all:

I hope nobody else tried clicking on the link that was supplied.  When I did, my computer went absolutely bonkers.  I had no way of knowning whether it was one of those deals where fake virus notifications pop up all over the screen, or if it was an actual virus.  Sometimes those fake virus web sites are there to try to hold a gun to your head to fake you into buying fake antivirus software.

At any rate, I thought it best to sound the alarm as opposed to do nothing.  He may have been a legitimate user who, himself was a victim.  I never want to accuse someone of doing something unless I am sure, but one thing for sure is that the link he provided was nasty, and a horrifying display of things going on the screen teling me I had viruses.  I had visions of a complete meltdown flashing before my eyes.

As it turns out, Norton is part way through a full system scan and has not yet uncovered anything other than the usual tracking cookies. 

It sure got me going.
-Bill G

GG

Thanks for the heads-up and prompt action. 

Many of these types of obnoxiousness work via flash and java and scripting that messes with browsers, so they can affect Macs as well as Windows PCs.  No one is immune these days. 

RDP

If any of you are NOT using Firefox as your browser I would suggest you change over and STOP using Internet Exploder. Firefox is safer and 10 times quicker and it FREE!. After you try it you'll think that you were on dial up all your life.

No, I'm not affiliated with Firefox or Mozilla, just like how it works.

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 10, 2011, 12:06:18 AM
My computer went crazy with virus crap when I followed the link in a recent post by ngshinong!

I do not know if this new member is doing this on purpose or if it is inadvertant.

Be careful.

Bill, I feel your pain!  I spent a week online with a tech guy because I got clobbered with the nasty Google Redirect Trojan.  Take a look.  I highly recommend the Tech Support Forum.  The help is free and professional.  The only cost is patience.  P.S. Do NOT try to fix your computer following the instructions they gave me, they specifically say NOT to do that.  Read the stickies at the top of the forum. 

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/

My particular fix:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/google-links-get-redirected-554583.html
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

RDP

Thank you for the link Briny, looks like a real good place to go next time I get a nasty instead of pulling my hair out for several hours.

dsk

Quote from: RDP on March 10, 2011, 02:42:05 PM
If any of you are NOT using Firefox as your browser I would suggest you change over and STOP using Internet Exploder. Firefox is safer and 10 times quicker and it FREE!. After you try it you'll think that you were on dial up all your life.

No, I'm not affiliated with Firefox or Mozilla, just like how it works.

I like Firefox too, I do not think it will give significant protection.
I have a good antivirus but did not go free from virus. A lot of attacks during February, and installed Comodo firewall (free that one too) This firewall made my almost crazy the first days, I had to go through  a lot of yes and no's for allowing this or that program to do.... But now it works, and I have no trouble.
Why did I choose that S.W.? A magazine I read promoted it as best in test, and free.

How much s.w. do we have to have running to protect ourselves????

Luckily my telephones never get any other viruses than what may come when coughing  into the handsets.  ;D

dsk

RDP

Granted that Firefox is not going to keep you completely safe but, in comparison to Internet Exploder there's walls all around.
I myself don't do a lot of downloading or browsing around the internet clicking Willy Nilly. I'm mainly Email (opening only mail from known persons or places) and eBay with the exception of two on line forums so, I keep myself pretty protected just in that.

Greg G.

P.S. My problem was not a result of the post/link Bill was talking about.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e