News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to forum

Started by Gary, July 18, 2010, 05:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Jorge, I picked up some of that Turtle Wax F21 today.  Did a final light wetsand with 1500, then two passes with Novus 2, rinsed well to clean off any N2 then applied the TW F21.  Great process you have there, it worked very well!

JorgeAmely

Well, I am glad you got very good results.

It works good on cars too!  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Gary

Hi all,
I finally got around to getting a photograph of my completed WE 304.  I replaced the coiled cord with a vintage straight cord.  Initially, there was a low volume problem but I found one hookswitch wire connected to the wrong coil terminal.  It now works great!

Phonesrfun

Wow, excellent results!
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Beautiful job, Gary! That is a very nice looking 304.  Is it going to be used every day?

Gary

Thanks!!
Hi Dennis, yes, it's on an end table in my living room and in service.  It receives calls and dials out perfectly.  Only thing is it took a week or two for my cats to get adjusted to the ring but they're finally ok with it now.
Can't wait to find another!

Doug Rose

Gary....outstanding job! Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

KeithB

Looks beautiful!! ;D  I just picked up some F21 this weekend, and will try it on my first 302 this evening.

Dave F

Yes, that is one really nice looking phone!

Doug Rose

Turtle Wax F21, does it apply like Armour All? Is it greasy? How to you apply it. Does this shine stay of does it eventually evaporate or absorb into the phone? The results look amazing....Doug
Kidphone

Gary

Thanks guys, great forum!
Yes, the Turtle Wax F21 (pump spray bottle) worked well for me.  Much thanks to Jorge, he recommended it earlier in this thread.  What I did to my housing was pretty much what Jorge described.  Again, mine is the thermoplastic housing.

I first did two applications of Novus 2 to clean up the outer nastiness followed by a good rinse.  Then I wet sanded with 1500 paper.  I've never done that before but it wasn't too difficult.  Kept the housing submerged in a bucket of water while lightly going over with the 1500.  Got a little nervous when I finished as it came out all dulled, but it was extremely smooth.  Dried it then went back and did two more applications of Novus 2 followed by another rinse.  This brought back the shine.

Then I applied the F21 liberally, let it sit for about 2 minutes and wiped with an old clean cotton t-shirt.  As Jorge said, be careful, it gets mighty slippery.  Keep buffing/rubbing with the cloth until it's dry.  At first, it seems like it will never dry but it does.  I did this about a month ago and it held up pretty good.  The photo was taken two days ago.  Before I took the photo, I did lightly spray some on a cloth and rubbed it in as a touch-up to help remove any prints from use.  There are a few dings that are too deep to remove in the lower right front that hardly show up in the photo.  Also, on the dial face the 1 is almost completely worn off and the 5 is well worn.

oh, one more thing that worked out well is the finger wheel.  I lightly sanded that and went over it with super fine steel wool.  Then I sprayed it with gloss black but when it dried it just looked much too shiny and new.  Was about to strip it and do it again but ended up hitting it with super fine steel wool again which helped but the overall finish had kind of an orange peel dimpling.  Don't know why this happened.  I then read of people baking their finishes and thought I had nothing to lose.  Put it in the oven for 3 hours at about 260° which made a huge difference.  I was very happy with it then.

John S

Welcome to the forum Gary........This is a great site!!!!! 

KeithB

Great site with very kind, courteous, and most of all generous members.