News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New here - Getting a WE302

Started by KeithB, August 13, 2010, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

Actually guys, when in high school I had two late 50s-era desksets and one wall phone.  So I've had the bug since my teens, it's just been in remission for some 35 years.  Here's something I'm certain you wish you all heard at least once:  My wife was thrilled today to learn she'll get a Lucy phone to put on the desk.  She's an I Love Lucy maniac.  :)

The set arrived this morning, extremely well-packed.  Everything is stamped 10-46 and 11-46, so it's all original.  The dial is a 5H, meaning there's no clickety-clack for me. :( The coiled handset cord and straight wall cord are both good shape, requiring only some cleanup and wax.  The case is not cracked anywhere but is extremely scratched from the handset, and hopefully those areas will sand and polish out well.

I've got to get plenty of pictures taken before I can complete disassembly and clean up this little darling. 

jsowers

Quote from: KeithB on August 14, 2010, 01:34:30 AM
One thing I'd like to discover is what the exchange "names" were for my Charlotte NPA : 704-33x-xxxx.

EDison is correct, and the 37x-xxxx exchange was FRanklin. I guess they liked naming them after famous inventors, huh?
Jonathan

KeithB

Here's a question: If the #5H dial is date stamped 10-46, how is it the 164A dial porcelain has "I ..56" on it"  ???

Doug Rose

Keith....it was replaced later in its life. Its very hard to find a phone with all the dates that match, though not impossible. Welcome to the forum....Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

Welcome aboard Keith, looks like a great phone and should clean up nicely too.

McHeath

Belated welcome!  A nice phone and it will look pretty sweet on the desk.  That replaced dial plate is rather common, the letters wore off.  Probably a tech made a home visit and replaced the plate.

Look forward to seeing it all finished up.

KeithB

Thanks guys.  I didn't think they would replace only the porcelain instead of the entire dial.  I guess with fewer customers and more time at each stop this was more common than I'd expect.

Saturday was spent disassembling everything and I was pleasantly surprised to find the original WE302 wiring diagram folded neatly in four and tucked between the ringer and the induction coil.  ;D  I used citrus degreaser concentrate and hot tap water to clean the entire exterior and both cords and I was surprised it wasn't more dirty or greasy.

Today I started sanding the case and handset.  I decided to take a conservative approach since there were some dings along the edges and many pits where the handset banged against the base. I'm not going for a perfectly clean and new look, just "rather-good-looking for a 64-year-old phone".   I started with 600 grit  (instead of 1000) wet/dry and it did well smoothing out the dings and cleaning the surfaces.  It did very well removing the glue remaining from an ancient label/sticker on the front.  I was careful to use lots of water, a light touch, and work in multiple directions over each surface.

I removed the dial card and found two others beneath it.  Unfortunately one was adhered rather well to the acetate with another adhered onto it.  The dial itself works well and makes a pleasant sound, so I'll leave the internals alone.  I ordered a decal for the porcelain today since some numbers and letters are faded.  The dial was nicked in a few places so I lightly sanded it and shot it with a coat of gloss black enamel.  It's been sitting atop a lamp for a few hours to "bake".  8)

There's a light fixture in the kitchen to be replaced this afternoon, but I'll probably take the 1000 grit to everything after I finish that little "honey-do" job.  While I wait on the Novus polish to arrive this week, I can clean up the spade lugs and the exterior of the dial governor. 

LarryInMichigan

I didn't know that any 302s had wiring diagrams in them.  None of mine had one.

Larry

Wallphone

Keith, When you get around to taking pictures can you get one of the diagram? I have probably owned 40 WE 302's and not one ever had a diagram in it. Thanks.
Dougpav

Dennis Markham

When I read what Keith wrote about the wiring diagram, I thought it strange too.  Perhaps since it was a phone made for an Independent, they put the wiring diagram inside.  I would also like to see a photo or scan of the diagram when you get time, Keith.

KeithB

Quote from: Wallphone on August 15, 2010, 07:48:41 PM
Keith, When you get around to taking pictures can you get one of the diagram? I have probably owned 40 WE 302's and not one ever had a diagram in it. Thanks.
Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 15, 2010, 08:09:35 PM
When I read what Keith wrote about the wiring diagram, I thought it strange too.  Perhaps since it was a phone made for an Independent, they put the wiring diagram inside.  I would also like to see a photo or scan of the diagram when you get time, Keith.
I'm certain it's the same generic WE302 diagram you've seen elsewhere. I also agree with Dennis' comment.  By the F1W handset, we know this is a non-Bell desk set and it's likely Western Electric included the wiring diagram for convenience of the independent's field installers.

Dennis Markham

That's pretty neat Keith.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone even talk about getting a diagram inside a Western Electric phone.  But I don't get out much..........

KeithB

Now that I've compared it to the diagram images I saw earlier, I notice it's different.  Now I'm glad I mentioned it, and you both asked for it.  How'd you guess I have a scanner  ???

Edit: I should mention, I didn't do any more sanding with 1000 grit tonight.  The light fixture went up in less than 30 minutes, but reading all 64 pages of Dan/Panther's legendary 1948 '500' thread was quite the adventure.  Maybe we should organize an expedition to Murray Hill, NJ for the Fall? ;)

Doug Rose

I have seen them from time to time, usually folded and tucked under the ringer. I know I have a few, but I'm not going to start opening phones to find one!.....Doug
Kidphone

KeithB

Yeesh :-\ I forgot how quickly the higher-grit sandpapers get the job done, after you've thoroughly completed all the coarse work.  The 1000 grit worked quickly evening out the scratches remaining from the 600 grit.  I rinsed it well and let it air dry, and it looked good enough so I took the 2000 grit to it.  After all that, I made the trip to Home Depot for the Ryobi palm buffer/polisher ($25 these days) and picked up wire brushes and buffing wheels for my Dremel tool.  I was disappointed :( to find they didn't stock any brass brushes, only steel. 

So now everything's received two separate treatments of Novus # 20, followed by Brasso and a then buffing and polishing.  I can't start reassembling her until the dial porcelain overlay/decal arrives and I clean up all the electrical contacts.  As soon as she's back together, I'll take pictures for everyone, probably by this weekend.

Thanks for all your encouragement!!