News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing sticker adhesive from thermoplastic

Started by Sargeguy, January 17, 2009, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just received a matching date 1945 302 in the mail today.  The housing is in great shape except for a few dings.  It is the only plastic 302 I have seen where the housing fits back onto the base without heating or plastci removal.  The phone was dirty inside and out, and I did find a dead brown recluse spider inside, but it cleaned up pretty easily.  The only cleaning issue is that there is a large sticker between the ears that I removed when I steam-cleaned it, but the adhesive remains.  What should I use to remove it that won't damage the thermoplastic housing?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Hmm, just send it to me and I'll take care of it.  May take be a few decades however, so be patient.   ;)

Sargeguy

Give me your address and I'll send you the spider.  I think its dead but maybe its only hibernating. :-*
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benhutcherson

Most any organic solvent should work, however you obviously want one that won't dissolve the case.

I generally spray some CRC QD Electronics Cleaner on a rag and wipe away, which does a nice, safe job of getting rid of residue pretty quickly.

A cheaper alternative is Ronsonal lighter fluid, which is also safe for the types of plastics we're dealing with.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

Dan,
Yes-Naptha, petroleum ether, benzine-whatever you want to call it. It's a mixture of saturated C5 and C6 hydrocarbons.

The CRC cleaner I mentioned is actually a mixture of naptha and methanol in a spray can.

Sargeguy

Thanks, I'll try the conductor cleaner...and some Raid
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Being as it is WWII era phone there are a few interesting features, namely the steel and zinc parts.  These include steel gongs (painted black) steel fingerwheel), zinc dial card retainer, and the dial card ring is made of a silver colored metal rather than brass or tin. 

The dates from 1945 are pretty interesting:

II-45 (Dial Plate)-War in Europe ends
6-15-45 (Housing): Battle of Okinawa rages
8-6-45 (Dial and Base Plate):  Enola Gay Drops "Little Boy" on Hiroshima
8-7-45 (Ringer):  President Truman announces the bombing of Hiroshima with the atomic bomb
8-11-45 (Network): Allies accept Japan's offer of unconditional surrender, ending WWII

It also has a cool dial card: Long Distance Dial 211, Information Dial 411, Repair Service Dial 611

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Very interesting historical phone from the last days of WWll.  Thanks for matching the components' dates with the history.  Quite the time capsule you have there! But now you have me wondering what the removed sticker was! ;D

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Gee what a cool phone, love those historical tie ins.  How about some pics?

And I think you can send the "dead" spider to D/P, he's our official bug in a phone go to guy.
:D

Sargeguy

Well since you asked, I just happen to have a couple "before" pictures: ::)

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

That is a very nice looking phone.  I really like the dial card.  I have found that just soaking the plastic in the warm soapy water will often soften that sticker enough to scrape it off with a finger nail.  Sometimes it requires more soaking once the paper layer is remove and some of the adhesive remains.  Usually just rubbing against it with the thick part of my thumb while still in the water will get 99% of it off...then Novus will get off the remaining adhesive.

mienaichizu

very coincidental that those dates matches our history

one tip too, you can apply WD 40 over the adhesive and leave it for 10-15 minutes With this, the adhesive will soften up that you may scrape it with your own fingernails.

Sargeguy

Thanks, the glue was really annoying-it kept smudging around but would not wipe off completely.  I love that dial card, it was why I paid $34 ($22 + S&H ) rather than my usual max of $30 for plastic 302s.  I am bummed that the dial plate is badly worn and will need replacement or an overlay.  The feet are shot as well, but that's a cheap fix.  I will post pics of the finished product.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409