"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 transmission problems

Started by Chesterwick, November 29, 2018, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesterwick

Hi guys,

One of my black 500's (a 9/53) has been giving me troubles. Initially it worked fine for a while but a few weeeks ago, people were unable to hear me. Figuring it was the transmitter, I swapped it out for a known good one I had, and again it worked fine for a while. Well today, someone said that they couldn't hear me again....I tried the transmitter on another 500 and it wasn't bad. 

What could be up with this phone?

Joe

HarrySmith

Have you tried another phone on the same line? It may not be a problem with the phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Chesterwick

I have. There are three other phones on the line (Verizon Fios....two other 500's and a 554) that have no problems.

Joe

HarrySmith

Maybe an issue with the handset cord. Can you swap the entire handset & cord from one of the other 500's?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Chesterwick

The original handset cord was shot, so I had replaced it with a good cord that came off another 500 that I had used for a while...so I know the cord is good at least.

Yeah, I'm at a loss.

Key2871

Do you know anything about using a continuity tester?
You try each wire in your cord to see if any fluctuations show up. If they do than you have discovered a potential problem.
Of it could be your fios service is acting Up on transmission side of things. It would be important to go to another phone right away use that for a while to make sure that's not a problem. Then it would boil down to your interface with the phone's.
Just some ideas to consider.
KEN

Jim Stettler

A good functional test of cords is to twist them around while listening to the handset.  The first place I try twisting the cord is going into the handset, then where the handset cord comes out of the base, and last where the line cord leaves the phone. Most bad cords will start giving static as you twist them at these anchor points.
I would also try rapping the edge of the transmitter sharply against a hard surface. This helps break up any carbon that may be clumping in the transmitter. Also check the transmitter contacts to make sure they aren't bent to far down, If they look like they may be bent to far down,  bend them upwards a little bit to ensure good contact. If you are still having problems swap the handset and cord to a good set and see if the problem is with the handset/cord. If it works fine then pretty much the only thing left is the  network .
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

I like Jim's idea on the contacts for the transmitter.  Check to be sure they are bent up enough to make solid contact with the seated transmitter, and that there is no corrosion where the electrical connections are made.  I have often turned the mouthpiece cap back and forth a few times to spin the transmitter inside against the contacts to improve contact quality. 
Paul

Chesterwick

Well guys, I tried all of the things mentioned and got it to work again. I replaced the dial too, as the old one wasn't working correctly. I didn't feel like sending it to Steve as I have a few good ones lying around.

What fun this hobby is...

Dan/Panther

Were you able to find another 53 dial ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Chesterwick

No, I believe I put in a '62. The phone wasn't dates matching anyway, and I'm not a purist....although I'm sure to some it's sacrilegious to not keep the original dial in it. I still have it, perhaps I will tinker with it.

Joe