"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Bits O' Phone 5302

Started by Phonesrfun, December 17, 2009, 09:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: Brinybay
So, if this conference was already half way into 1949, and they were going to move a plant, could it be that production didn't start until 1950, meaning there were no 49ers?

I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed the case. So far I have never heard of an actual '49 500. Just very early 1950 models.
-Matt

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
The rather negative reaction to the look of the phone was also interesting to read about.  Seems that the look of the new unit was not very popular at first glance and that it took time to win people over.

I remember reading in Henry Dreyfuss's fine book on industrial design where he writes about not being too new and radical in changes in designs. So he would often leave some element of the familiar previous designs so people would feel familiarities and associate the new designs with the older designs.

I have wondered what the design of the 302 might have been if Dreyfuss had been given free reign to design it however he really wanted to.  Just a thought.
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on December 22, 2009, 02:57:25 PM
Quote from: Brinybay
So, if this conference was already half way into 1949, and they were going to move a plant, could it be that production didn't start until 1950, meaning there were no 49ers?

I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed the case. So far I have never heard of an actual '49 500. Just very early 1950 models.

You would have to hunt down somebody directly involved to find out, and the people who would know for sure (Tuffnell, et al) are long gone.  I doubt if even any of the plant workers are still around, or if they are, if they would remember.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Oh how I would love to time travel and be an apprentice designer of Henry Dreyfuss in the 1930s-60s. Sigh.
-Matt

Jim Stettler

According to "Events in Telecommunications history"*"Events in Telecommunications  History" was written as a reference for  Bell System PR writers and researchers . The topics and dates  provide a starting point for further research. first published in 1958, my copy is 1979.

I summarized the key points:

Some 600  new telephones were put into service in 1949 to check it's performance in actual use.

June 2, 1950 first supply of new 500  -type telephones announced about 180,000 are expected to come off production lines during the balance of the year.

So there were 600 1949 field trial sets produced,  at least 1 should still be out there.
It seems to me that I read somewhere that the production models were made starting December 1949. That would allow for up to 30,000 more 1949 models.   

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on December 22, 2009, 01:17:34 AM
I had no clue they made 5302's in colors besides black. I learned something today!

Tom,
Here is a photo of of some color 5302's. this subject came up on a list server in the past and I "stole" the photo. There isn't a photo of a clear 5302, but I have heard of 2 of them.

Jon Finder used to have some colored 5302's, I don't think this photo is his collection. Jon is knowledgeable about the colored 5302 sets.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

HobieSport

Colored 5302s. I never knew that either. The aqua and pink ones look great. A clear one would be awesome.
-Matt

AET

Wow, those are great! Would love to see a clear one!  I can't believe none of us has found a 49 500 by now if there was 600 trial sets!
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Jim, that group of phones has been posted here in the past but it's fun to see them again.  Those were from the collection of Robert Loeser.  He sold them as a group and I believe the selling price on eBay was about $3,500.

~Dennis

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 23, 2009, 01:34:47 AM
Jim, that group of phones has been posted here in the past but it's fun to see them again.  Those were from the collection of Robert Loeser.  He sold them as a group and I believe the selling price on eBay was about $3,500.

~Dennis

You are correct, those phones were Bob's. He has all sorts of oddball phones in his collection.
He was the seller of the 2 swirled princess phones that I didn't win.

He also sold a copper 2 line princess. It closed within a day of my copper D1 and actually brought about $40-50 more than the D1.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

My guess would be,  they knew where all the early 500's were, and were recalled for inspection and probably torn down.
JMHO.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan/Panther
My guess would be,  they knew where all the early 500's were, and were recalled for inspection and probably torn down.
JMHO.
D/P

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case, D/P. It sounds like the way Ma Bell would operate. Still, we'll always have our eyes peeled for an elusive if mythical '49 500. 8)
-Matt

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HobieSport on December 23, 2009, 01:42:41 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther
JMHO.
D/P

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the case, D/P. It sounds like the way Ma Bell would operate. Still, we'll always have our eyes peeled for an elusive if mythical '49 500. 8)

Even if they located all the sets, some probably fell off the truck or snuck out the back door.

According to Paul F's Referance: there were 4,000 field trial sets.

The 600 sets I mentioned could of possibly beeen 1948 sets (field tested in Early 1949?).

I didn't realize that there were 1948 sets.

Paul did verify 1 1949 set in captivity and several phones that have recycled 1949 parts.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

I think a lot of long-time collectors don't even give a black Model 500 a second glance.  In reality there MAY be one of those early sets lurking in the next garage sale.  Even though 99.9% of them are just another black 500 there are still some treasures to be found.  I'm always looking for the curved "operator" on the early ones.  They can be found on an early 1950 sets and perhaps later.  I would love to put one of those on my shelf, right next to my 1950 model.

HobieSport

Oh no! Now I'll be looking for 1948 500s too! ;)
-Matt