News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fedex Shipping

Started by Babybearjs, January 07, 2015, 12:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I got a FedEx shipment today in short order from Canada.  It was FedEx akk the way though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Any time is a good time to remind everyone that shipping either way across the Canadian/US border by other than the Post Office can frequently lead to quite expensive brokerage fees by Fedex, UPS etc.

Shipping by the Post Office doesn't make the shipment exempt of brokerage fees but the handling portion of the fee I believe is still just $5. With the other guys I think it starts at something like $35 or $40 and can go up from there. And it doesn't matter if it is a $5 or $10 item, Fedex/UPS make good money off of this so there is no incentive for them to just let it go.

Many many phone collectors and others have been burned so be careful out there....

Terry

Babybearjs

On the item I ordered, it came yesterday and was totally overpacked for its size.... on a lot of telephones, they can be shipped in a medium flat rate box for less then $12.00. people forget that these items where designed to survive the test of time and will survive shipping with enough packing to make the item secure.... on my order, they totally wasted bubble wrap and a box that they could have used for something else. but, better safe then sorry must have been the thinking when shipped....so I'll give them that credit... also 1 other thing that is frustrating is when people "estimate" the shipping charge. but, back to the main topic.... its just weird that fedex uses the P.O. to deliver their packages. this "smartpost" idea is nice, but redundant.
John

WesternElectricBen

My few FedEx experiences have been well. Once, shipping a huge box of phones back from Lancaster was a success. And more recently, I was sent some phones and stuff. They all came back well, not a dent on it. Unlike a box that was dropped off by USPS today which was completely wrecked.

Ben

wds

And here is why I just love USPS.   Notice the package went the wrong direction for about a week, then took another week to be delivered even after it arrived in Columbus.
Dave

kleinkaliber

I find it's much less stressful if I don't check the tracking of my packages. Watching them take the roundabout way getting across the country, then bouncing back and forth between the same two offices for a week before finally arriving, it's no wonder some arrive looking like they had washed up on the beach.

Ktownphoneco

I can't speak for shipments within the U.S.A., but here in Canada, it's cheaper to ship by Fedex Ground if the package is over a specific weight, and Under $199.00 U.S. Dollars (if going to the U.S.A.)     Generally, I've found that anything over about 7 Lbs., travels cheaper than Canada Post can offer, both to Canadian destinations, and those in the United States.        The only "fly in the ointment" so to speak, is the value of the item being shipped if it's going from Canada to the U.S.A.      If one were to value an item $200.00 U.S. dollars or more, then the package needs to go through a customs broker.   Fedex offer brokerage services through their affiliate company, Fedex Trade Networks, but it can be sent to the customs broker of your choice.    But brokerage is an added fee, to either the seller, or the buyer.      However a Fedex Ground customer service person told me, "don't worry too much about value.    Our system is so tightly controlled for loss or theft, basically nothing is going to go missing.     She explained that their in-house tracking system is so accurate, they basically know every time somebody handles the package as it moves through their system.     
Consequently, I've shipped $500.00 USD telephones to addresses in the U.S.A., and stated their value on the Fedex Commercial Invoice as $199.00.    I've never had a problem.     Fedex have a much better tracking system, and will usually get any package to it's destination faster than the post office, on both sides of the border.
My 2 cents for what it's worth.
Ktownphoneco - Kingston, Ont.