News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34 Project

Started by NYFED, August 25, 2009, 05:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Ian, you aren't alone in the obsessiveness department!  I'm right there with you on that one.  But cleaning all those screw heads is important......... :)

NYFED

Yes, I understand.  That being said...now, where I can I find those cloth covered wires???  ??? 

JorgeAmely

NYFED:

If all you want is to clean the inside really nice, you can do that without disconnecting the coil and wires. An occasional splash of water every 50 years or so won't hurt it. I have two AE40's that I have cleaned inside with soap and an old toothbrush.

A soldered connection is always more reliable than a screw and terminal connection.

My 2 cents.
Jorge

NYFED

Thanks, Jorge.  I may have to follow that advice!

ntophones

So, how wet do you get the inside with your soap and toothbrush?

Also, my AE40 is soldered in several places, not all screws. So, I bet they may have soldered some connections, don't you think?
--nto

McHeath

Just take it down to the car wash and use the "degrease" setting. ;)

Seriously though, this is a good question, how much water do you let get on the parts?

JorgeAmely

The tape that covers the network softens with water a bit, so what I have done is to get some soap on a little brush, scrub around (hook switch and network screws removed) all surfaces, rinse and blow dry with compressed air. An afternoon under the summer sun will dry all the moisture that remains around.

By the time the phone is in service, all traces of water will be gone.

Jorge

NYFED

Well,t here are a few odd things about this phone.  First, there is no network present (as such). Nor is there one on the schematic/wiring diagram tucked into the phone.  This wiring diagram does not match up (unless I am reading it wrong) with the diagrams from TCI or one of my reference books.  Interesting! I already pulled the soldered connections, so I could thoroughly clean the inside.  It was covered with a thick almost adhesive substance that reminded me of mollasses but would not budge off the internals without the use of a petroleum based cleaner (in this case stainless steel cleaner which I have found to be VERY effective).  I am working until Tuesday-which means I am not at 'home-home' so I won't be able to until Tuesday, but, I will post the scan I took of the wiring diagram and everyone is free to give their two cents.  I am really happy with the way this has come out so far, but have to figure out this mystery.  Maybe I can watch the Maltese Falcon in VERY slow motion and gleen some answers! LOL!  EVERYONE: Thanks for all of your help! 

bingster

The gelatinous goo sounds like Cosmoline, which was a rust preventive/metal preservative. 
= DARRIN =

NYFED

Bingster-
             I'm certain that it was not cosmoline.  Recalling this from firearms I have uncrated over the years.  This was more the consistency of a thick creosote that had hardened somewhat.  It was all over the back portion of the bottom plate and the inside of the case as well.  The substance was near the condensers and I wondered if it leaked out.  Doubtful as the goop was on the inside of the case and the base plate.  Whatever the mystery substance was it was definitely not put there intentionally.  So, I will press on and hopefully get this lump of coal turned into a diamond.

stub

NYFED,
          Hi, I just saw your phone tonight and man you are doing a great job!!!!Have you finished it yet?
          I hope you made a detailed diagram to put it back together with. I can't,so far , find a wiring diagram for it. Your phone is a  AE-34A3 with an induction coil receiver. The receiver end of handset should have 3 connections and they should be labeled #1 , #2, #3.  I see in pics the 205 ohm wire wound resistor on C in base.
         Please post finished pictures.  If I can find a diagram I'll send it to you .
        Can you also post a pic of the inside of base with receiver hooked up ? I hope you can so if I ever find one I would be able to hook it up.   Great find!!              
                                                                                                          stub1953
Kenneth Stubblefield

NYFED

OK... spring is here and it's PHONE TIME! I take the winter off because my garage is too cold to hang out in working on my phones.  The AE34 project is back up and running.  While on life support for the winter, I have gotten some tips and hints.  Anybody that wants to add any more, please do.  This is my pet project and it will undoubtedly consume a lot of my days off!  VIVE EL TELEFONO de Automatico Electrico! MAN! I LOVE SPRING!   

stub

NYFED,
           Thanks for the AE 34A3 with induction coil receiver wiring diagram. (lost in computer) Better late than never.     AE Catalogue 4055, pg. 7.
          If some of you photoshop people can clean this up, buy all means do so and repost it.
                                                                                                                                                stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Stub:

I haven't heard from NYFED for a long while.
Jorge

stub

JorgeAmely ,
                   Here's the last time I talked to him-  March 22, 2010, 06:37:11 PM    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield