News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1930's Gray Pay Station 150 LJ

Started by ....., April 30, 2020, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today I received this 1930's Gray 150 L J that had been updated with a 1930 4H WE dial. The Gray 150 L J is a non-dial pay station same as the 150 K J. The "L" means non-dial and the "J" means handset. The handset is a Northern Electric NU. I will be changing it out for a correct handset at some point. It also has a Canadian coin chute. I decided to return it back to a non-dial phone and gave it a new home.

Key2871

Very cool. So was it a matter of changing the upper only? I'm guessing it didn't have a socket for a dial?
I'm only asking because I'm not up on the old old payphones.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on April 30, 2020, 10:33:10 PM
Very cool. So was it a matter of changing the upper only? I'm guessing it didn't have a socket for a dial?
I'm only asking because I'm not up on the old old payphones.

I didn't change the top. I just removed the dial and moved the instruction card up and plugged the screw holes.

Key2871

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks for answering my question!
KEN

kleenax

Quote from: Duffy on April 30, 2020, 09:42:26 PM
Today I received this 1930's Gray 150 L J that had been updated with a 1930 4H WE dial. The Gray 150 L J is a non-dial pay station same as the 150 K J. The "L" means non-dial and the "J" means handset. The handset is a Northern Electric NU. I will be changing it out for a correct handset at some point. It also has a Canadian coin chute. I decided to return it back to a non-dial phone and gave it a new home.
Doug; that looks like an E1 handset in those original illustrations. Looks pretty cool with an E1!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Quote from: kleenax on May 02, 2020, 08:18:06 AM
Doug; that looks like an E1 handset in those original illustrations. Looks pretty cool with an E1!

Yes it does Ray, here are a couple pictures from Mike Davis's site of a 150 K J with an original handset.
Jeff Lamb has an original one for me, once we get over this covid lock down I will meet up with him to get it and replace the NU.

kleenax

Quote from: Duffy on May 02, 2020, 08:53:54 AM
Yes it does Ray, here are a couple pictures from Mike Davis's site of a 150 K J with an original handset.
Jeff Lamb has an original one for me, once we get over this covid lock down I will meet up with him to get it and replace the NU.
Now this one has a Monophone type 37 handset on it, with a "salad-fork" hook on it. I believe that this is the correct handset for this set, but I swear that other photo that you had posted showed an E1.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Quote from: kleenax on May 03, 2020, 06:42:30 PM
Now this one has a Monophone type 37 handset on it, with a "salad-fork" hook on it. I believe that this is the correct handset for this set, but I swear that other photo that you had posted showed an E1.

Nope, it's as I got it. Northern Electric NU handset with the "salad-fork" hook. I was told that it was likely put on there by an Independent Canadian Telco, since this is a Canadian pay station and Bell never used the NU's

The other pictures are from Payphone History book.

I changed out the Northern Electric NU handset to a AE Type 38.