News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black Gray/WE 150 LJ is really bronze.

Started by ....., August 12, 2020, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I decided I would strip the paint off the Gray-Western 150 LJ that I just bought. The body of the phone was heavily encrusted in layers of peeling paint. When I got down to the first layer, it looks to be a bronze painted phone. I have only done the vault and the middle flag frame with paint stripper, but both have the same bronze colouring. I did a test scrape on the top and it looks to have the same bronze colouring under the black paint. I thought maybe a primer, but I have never come across another one with primer when stripping other payphones. This model did come in a bronze colour as well.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24183.0

FABphones

Hidden history!

You are sooo going to keep the bronze. Yes you are!!!!!!!! Loving this.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on August 12, 2020, 11:21:12 AM
Hidden history!

You are sooo going to keep the bronze. Yes you are!!!!!!!! Loving this.

:)

Yes, I am! It's already in the works! :)

Scott

Cool color. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Nice find.

Scott K.

HarrySmith

WOW! Great color. What a fantastic find. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Doug....that looks fantastic! What an amazing find...other Doug
Kidphone

Payphone installer

The LJ was a Gray not a Gray Western the phone never had a Gray Western bottom. The only way this phone would have existed would be painted by a refurbisher. So it is not anything but a collection of parts put together by somebody painted bronze.

Quote from: Payphone installer on August 12, 2020, 02:54:12 PM
The LJ was a Gray not a Gray Western the phone never had a Gray Western bottom. The only way this phone would have existed would be painted by a refurbisher. So it is not anything but a collection of parts put together by somebody painted bronze.

Well Jim,

I guess I will be putting it back together as a bronze Gray/Western 150 LJ making it a collection of parts put back together by me painted bronze for a second time!

Doug Rose

Not quite sure I understand, you stripped the paint off but the Bronze "paint" remained. I thought it was down to metal. How did a layer of paint survive the stripper?

That being said, it still looks great. Can't wait to see it back together....Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 12, 2020, 06:27:19 PM
Not quite sure I understand, you stripped the paint off but the Bronze "paint" remained. I thought it was down to metal. How did a layer of paint survive the stripper?

That being said, it still looks great. Can't wait to see it back together....Doug

I started with soft stripper, it loosened the top player of paint down to the bronze paint. I also used a razor scraper to remove the black paint. Then I used the stripper on the parts and then wrapped them with plastic. Let it sit overnight.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Put the Gray/Western 150 LJ together to see what it looks like with the Burled Walnut F1 handset on it. I still need to mount the coin gauge and put the internals in it.

Doug Rose

Doug...Stunning! What a beautiful Payphone. You should be very proud. Great paint job.....other Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.