News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay Fun Foto: Refurbisher Gone Wild with Snowflake Stamp

Started by Adam, January 22, 2011, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Just spotted on eBay:  I think someone at the 302 refurbisher lost control on this one...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

JorgeAmely

Those look like snowflakes. Maybe it was very cold that day. A form of stress release.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Did we ever establish what refurb those snow flakes belong to, I have on on 2 separate Illinois Bell phones.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

The snowflakes indicate a phone refurbished by Hallmark House, AKA Black Panther Trading Co., of Springfield, Massachusetts. It may have been Ed, the owner's father, that got carried away with the stamps. 302s were his specialty.

Other refurbishers in the 70s included Bohnsack Equipment Co. (BECO) in Germantown, NY, Telephone Repair and Supply Co. in Chicago, Telephone Engineering Co. in Simpson, PA, Tele-Service in Kevil, KY and Surplus Center in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I bought my first phone, an as-is Leich 90C, for $2.29 from Surplus Center in 1964. I never could get Hallmark House to answer my letters, so I visited them in 1972, bought a TN phone for $4.00, and Ed offered me a job. I worked there for a year or so.

Here is a 440 or 444 multi-line set that was converted to single line by BECO. One of the techs there told me they used to paint the color 302s black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271207175175

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on May 23, 2013, 12:09:39 PM
The snowflakes indicate a phone refurbished by Hallmark House, AKA Black Panther Trading Co., of Springfield, Massachusetts.

I prefer the snowflake stamp over the other one that's supposed to be a panther but looks more like a mule-stomped rodent.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Brinybay on May 26, 2013, 03:09:25 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on May 23, 2013, 12:09:39 PM
The snowflakes indicate a phone refurbished by Hallmark House, AKA Black Panther Trading Co., of Springfield, Massachusetts.

I prefer the snowflake stamp over the other one that's supposed to be a panther but looks more like a mule-stomped rodent.
Me too. At least I can readily identify a snowflake. Sheesh! ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus