News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial tone

Started by T65MC80, September 13, 2009, 01:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T65MC80

Hello again all. After some time waiting for new wiring for my WE- 50AL candlestick, I have arrived at a new problem. After making all the appropriate connections, the phone will not disengage when I place the earpiece on the cradle. Instead it just remains on the line, preventing calls from coming into the house. Any suggestions?

Stephen Furley

Sounds like either a problem with the hookswitch wiring, or something shorting out inside the 'phone or subset.

Phonesrfun

What model subset do you have it connected to?
-Bill G

T65MC80

Phonesrfun

That is the proper subset, so as Stephen said, check the wiring points;  Check that somehow a spade tip is not accidentally shorting out against another, and check to see that the hookswitch is opening on both contacts.  Also, notorious is for a wire that is hooked to the hookswitch up inside the shaft where the hookswitch resides is not touching on something it should not.

Here is a link to the wiring of the combo 50AL and the 534 subset:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/50al.pdf

You will need to pull the thing apart to check the hookswitch connections.
-Bill G

T65MC80

I checked the wiring diagram and that is the configuration that I have and it doesn't seem to change anything. However, when I hooked the red wire from the subset cable to the 'YY' port on the phone instead of the one labeled 'R' it works. Unfortunately, this still leaves me with the problem in that the ringer does not ring when the house is receiving a call.

Phonesrfun

I just deleted the item I wrote a few minutes ago, and I am re-posting.  It seems I was not fully awake yet earlier.

You wrote that it works when you connect the subset R wire to the telephone YY post.  That will inusre that the telephone will not hang up, so this confuses me.  As I understand the problem, the candlestick phone will not hang up when hooked to the phone line.

If it won't hang up, then by definition it is "off hook" as far as the central office is concerned, so it would not ring either.

I guess I need some more information on the exact behavior of the phone.
-Bill G

rp2813

Maybe I'm not remembering things right or am being too simplistic, but isn't this a problem that might be resolved by switching the L1 and L2 connections at the jack or on the phone?

Ralph
Ralph

Phonesrfun

Ralph:

Sorry, but that would cure a touch tone dial from not producing tones, but would not have any effect on this problem.
-Bill G

rp2813

LOL, shows how much I know . . . or pay attention!

Ralph
Ralph

T65MC80

So for whatever reason, after fooling around with the wiring, the phone correctly functions when I hook it up as per the 534A subset diagram but I still cannot get the ringer to work. The ringer has worked on occasion so I have a hard time believing that the wiring is malfunctioning. I snapped a few pics of my mounting posts to see if anyone spots something amiss.

bingster

Check to see that none of the lugs are touching other parts.  It looks like some of them may be touching things they should not be (especially the one on the right):
= DARRIN =

T65MC80

I double checked all the connections to make sure that nothing is touching but still no change. I may be wrong, but wouldn't a false connection affect the functioning of the phone itself rather than the subset? As for the middle arrow in the photo, the only thing I could think would be touching are the green and white wires, but as I understand it according to the wiring diagram they mounted on the same screw on the assembly inside the candlestick. In addition, I have been trying to check the wires connecting the induction coil and the wires in the subset, but they all appear to be functioning properly. Just to make sure, what are the numbers I should be reading when assessing the DC voltage, current, and resistance?

Phonesrfun

One thing you might want to check, but it looks like it is probably ok, but check anyway.  The red line wire hooked to L2 may be contacting over onto the GN terminal.  Other than that, it looks like the red ringer wire is on L1 and the black ringer wire is on C, which is correct.  Make sure that the red and black ringer wires are not broken where they are soldered onto the ringer.

-Bill G