News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dismantling an AE Spacemaker

Started by Greg G., September 22, 2009, 04:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I moved this over to here from the Yard Sale find area.

I'm dismantling an AE Spacemaker, 62 version.  I've got down to the last part.  (Warning - these phones are a bear to dismantle, I hope I can get it back together again.  I've been taking pics every step of the way.)

Anyway, I can't get that plastic plate off because the switch hook/cradle is in the way.  The switch hook won't thread through the opening of the plate, the opening is too small, or the switch hook too wide.  So that means I have to remove the switch hook.  I don't know what method they used to fasten it, I hope it's not a rivet.  Here's a picture:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I answered my own question, well, actually Phonesrfun did.  You just have to pull that assembly through the base plate opening, then take the plastic cover off from the other end, it won't come off over the switch hook.  (Note to self - remember to do that in reverse when you assemble it again!)

That still leaves the switch hook.  It appears it's been attached with a flared grommet or something.  I think I'm just going to have to carefully clean it in place.  All the other plastic parts and handset cord are going in the dishwasher.  This thing REEKS of stale nicotine!  And not just any nicotine, it has a pungent odor of cigars.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

I suspect that the odor is coming from the potting goo inside the network.  Early network goo inside Western sets were kind of stinky too.  Just a thought.  In which case, there is no cleaning process available.   Seems like cigar or cigarette smoke would have long ago dissapated, unless it was used right up until the time you bought it if it was used by a heavy smoker, in which case, the odor would come more from the handset than from inside the phone or in the vicinity of the network.  I vote for the network dielectric (goo).

-Bill G

Greg G.

You're probably right since the odor is present all through the phone.  Sure smells like old nicotine!
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Well, I'm afraid a power washing in the dishwasher didn't impact the odor much.  Oh well.  If I sell it, I instead of saying it has a "fine vintage patine" to it, I can say it has a "fine vintage odor" to it!
- Mike Row
e

bingster

I honestly don't think you'd even need to mention it.  Most people expect an old item to "smell old."
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

I wouldn't sell it anyway because I would never get what I (over) paid for it, plus all the effort I've put into it.  I'll either keep it or give it as a gift.
- Mike Row
e