"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Argentinian "Antwerp" Phone on Ebay Now

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 20, 2012, 04:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on November 20, 2012, 06:46:49 PM
Sold!  Or should I say "bought"?   Anxious to see it in person.  I've been wanting to pick up some of the European phones to go with the couple of BTMC dials I have.

Just how Anxious were you to "see it"? At least you can now "pick up some European Phones" with just this one purchase. They are all in the bottom of the box!

Sorry for your loss....another one gone forever.

Terry

wds

The seller was surprisingly nice about the mess.  I asked for a refund for the cost of the phone, but not the shipping.  I think the remaining parts might be worth the cost of the shipping and they might come in handy if I end up buying another one of these phones.  I will post a picture later today of all the broken bakelite - it's amazing how many small pieces there are. 
Dave

dsk

Ill never been a business man, so I don't know if this is a good or bad idea, but I have this Antwerp 10 line intercom. You lift off the receiver, dial a digit, and the fingerstops moves and rings the other end. When hanging up the selector returns to rest position. The dial returns with normal speed when released.
As you may see, it has a dc ringer, and a one winding coil. The handset cord has only 2 wires.
The dial mechanism is missing lots of the termination screws, and it is a chip on the case left rear corner.  I could offer to swap with e.g a 2 line phone of any make pre. WE 500 era. a straight line or 25Hz ringer would ring here.

dsk

dsk

One more chip:
And the dial has an overlay, under the overlay, it is an enameled reverse dial.
dsk

wds

Nice phone.  And I should more than enough broken bakelite to fill that chip in with!  
Dave

wds

Can someone tell me how to get the mouthpiece cap off?  It's loose, but feels like there's a button that needs to be pressed for it to spin off.  Also, I don't think that's the correct receiver for this phone.  What is the correct receiver?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

My Argentinian phone also had a receiver module like that.  It has a T1 transmitter stuck into the transmitter cap.  I cannot recall how I removed the transmitter, and it is stuck well now.  I think that it might have needed to be pushed down and turned, but my memory is not good.

Larry

rdelius

put a pin or map tack into hole in side of cap and twist cap off.Phoneco should have the rec capsule you need .I can supply a photo if nessessary

wds

Yes, that did the trick.  T1 for the transmitter.  Surely these transmitter and receiver element parts aren't original factory parts?
Dave

LM Ericsson

There is a company called Russell Johnson Imports(Art Thang) that takes old telephones especially from Argentina and completely overhauls them such as adding new cords, components, and new paint jobs. I had a phone  that was refurbished by them that had a new paint job, new cords and new handset components, but no longer have it. It was originally a light blue phone, but was repainted a cream color. Here is the website: http://tinyurl.com/yjsdhzr
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: rdelius on December 01, 2012, 08:58:07 PM
put a pin or map tack into hole in side of cap and twist cap off.Phoneco should have the rec capsule you need .I can supply a photo if nessessary

I had thought that that was how it worked, but I didn't see the hole when I looked earlier this evening.  The bakelite British GPO transmitter caps work the same way.

My phone probably came from the same imported/refurbisher.  I just took a look at that Russel Johnson Imports site, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if my phone came through them.  Their posted prices are dizzying though.

Larry

wds

I was thinking the same thing about mine.  Someone paid $500 for this phone, then I bought it off Ebay for $30?  I'm pretty sure I saw some of those red and black ones on Ebay recently. 
Dave

dsk

The receiver in my phone:

dsk

Since the receiver is unoriginal, it would be nice to see how the parts inside the telephone looks.

dsk

wds

Here's the broken remains.
Dave