News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My ATEA RTT56 (Kettle Phone) Restored

Started by RDPipes, November 17, 2022, 02:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

A while back I purchased a RTT56-A from a private collector overseas for a real good price. Well it's been sorta sitting because I just didn't have the time I needed to do a proper (to me) restoration on it. I did a little at a time when I had it and finally with the help of a certain post made here about working on these dials (dial would not return properly)I was able to complete it to my satisfaction. Also the dial finger wheel and stop showed that someone from before without paint skills repainted them sloppily so I had to strip and repaint the finger wheel and polished the stop and then rewind the dial so it would return properly. Someone also (from before) coated the handset with some kind of oil to make it look shiny, that was a mess to clean up and then sand and buff the handset and replaced its rubber cord with a NOS cloth covered cord. I also adjusted the brass carry handle so it wouldn't push the handset off when picked up by adding some brass washers and replacing the cotter pins. Also had to refit the hook switch because for some reason it was hanging up on the body. I know the person I purchased it from will be very happy to finally see it done, not counting me, LOL! A lot of work went into this and I'm very pleased at how it came out. the first 3 photos are it before restoring.

RDPipes

Just a few more photos.

Doug Rose

Ron...that is outstanding! Great job, you should be very proud!!...Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 17, 2022, 04:17:19 PMRon...that is outstanding! Great job, you should be very proud!!...Doug
I is! Thank you Doug!

FABphones

Very nice indeed. Excellent work and a fine addition to the collection.
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on November 17, 2022, 04:40:31 PMVery nice indeed. Excellent work and a fine addition to the collection.
 :)
Thank you CJ!
Yeah, I plan on keep'en this one.

HarrySmith

AWESOME! Great job on the restoration. Looks like new ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 17, 2022, 06:09:56 PMAWESOME! Great job on the restoration. Looks like new ;D

Thank you Harry, you're very kind.

Witty

What a unique and beautiful looking phone. Outstanding work on it!

Ken
Ken

RDPipes

Quote from: Witty on November 18, 2022, 12:06:26 PMWhat a unique and beautiful looking phone. Outstanding work on it!

Ken
Thank you Ken!