"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE wall phone on eBay. D 23 A?

Started by HarrySmith, March 18, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 19, 2017, 03:47:46 PM
The phones worth $50. It would be neat to see the stand up close but it isn't worth $200. It needs a "make an offer" button.

Terry

I tried to buy the phone...We sent messages back and forth all day....(He takes forever to respond)

Our conversation only resulted in the seller ending the sale. He said he would re-list on Thursday (must be his lucky day).

He is just a little odd...

I was only interested in the mount, I would have sold the phone. Guess he wasn't interested.

That's twice this weekend I missed out on something I wanted...

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

Maybe it will be back with a "make an offer" button.

Terry

Pourme

That mount  intrigues me...I'd love to have it... I was willing to pay a decent price for it...that guy was extremely unreasonable to deal with....he thinks the phone is worth way more than it is....

I did convence him that it wasn't a D 23 A...That's why he retracted the auction.
Benny

Pourme

Re listed with accurate description and new price. He thinks a lot of his phone.

http://tinyurl.com/ky5k3hd
Benny

AE_Collector

Wasn't it $249 originally? $149 now.

Terry

HarrySmith

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 24, 2017, 01:35:10 PM
Wasn't it $249 originally? $149 now.

Terry

Yes, it was. WOW, what a deal! $100.00 off!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Porme, you should message him and ask how much for just the mount and let him sell the 50 separately. Might not be willing to open it up let alone remove it from the mount though.

Terry

Pourme

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 24, 2017, 01:56:39 PM
Porme, you should message him and ask how much for just the mount and let him sell the 50 separately. Might not be willing to open it up let alone remove it from the mount though.

Terry

I didn't ask him to remove it from the mount and sell me the mount, but I did tell him I would remove the mount and sell the phone. He first thought it was a rare model, that explains the lower price. I'd like to have the mount but I'm over it now...

Benny
Benny

unbeldi

The stand of this phone is likely germane to its intended use in the application that is somehow encoded on the plaque.  As such it was supposed to be used as a desk instrument, not wall mounted, as there appear no additional wall-mounting holes.  So, separating it from that stand makes no sense, IMHO, unless the intent is to ruin it and part it out, in which case no one will ever come to correctly appreciate the application it was intended for.
There is no guarantee that the phone itself can be operated on a telephone line today, it may well require complete replacements of internal parts. Only inspection of the internals would provide that information, unless someone can find an explanation of the codes on the front.

If you're looking just for a stand for another phone, it should not be hard to make this yourself. Similar stands for wall phones have been introduced on the forum that are easy to make.

AE_Collector

Of course all just speculation and "what ifs" but there are a few things about the code of interest. The letter L, the number 5214 while "out of range", we know that there are 50xx and 51xx 50's and as Unbeldi says, it may barely be recognizable as a phone inside thus this number may have been incremented into the 52xx range. No idea why they are in reverse order to normal and what if the entire number is just reversed? L5214-S-9. S9 follows potential dial/ringer type format though neither are likely. S as a year....possibly 1950 if A=1932 and 9 Assembly line? Or S year and 9 month or even the opposite, 9 as the year....1949?

Just saying, there are some similarities in this number to the numbers typically found on AE50's. Mixed around in order from the norm but convention doesn't seem to have stopped AE before, the "third field" codes where the number is first and two letters after the number are complete opposite their normal convention.

The only instances that I can think of with metal identification plates on AE phones of this era is phones made for the navy. And they also used the "Type x" identification for the navy phones.

Terry

unbeldi

I have been scanning through military communications manuals and websites occasionally since this appeared and have not come across a fitting system yet, nor any of the codes on this set. But the Navy, Army, and Airforce made a vast number of special systems, and some may have been only experimental.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on March 25, 2017, 07:33:25 AM
The stand of this phone is likely germane to its intended use in the application that is somehow encoded on the plaque.  As such it was supposed to be used as a desk instrument, not wall mounted, as there appear no additional wall-mounting holes.  So, separating it from that stand makes no sense, IMHO, unless the intent is to ruin it and part it out, in which case no one will ever come to correctly appreciate the application it was intended for.
There is no guarantee that the phone itself can be operated on a telephone line today, it may well require complete replacements of internal parts. Only inspection of the internals would provide that information, unless someone can find an explanation of the codes on the front.

If you're looking just for a stand for another phone, it should not be hard to make this yourself. Similar stands for wall phones have been introduced on the forum that are easy to make.

When I first saw this phone I was impressed with the mount. The phone its self may or may not be a significant AE50, IDK. It was never my intention to designate something special.  Weather or not it can be used on modern phone lines makes no difference to me. In my case, it was all about the mount and how good my 50 with all the chrome trim would look, & the fact that it would open up more display possibilities. 
Two pieces of wood could be made into a mount I'm sure. That is what someone did to create this mount. At first glance I thought perhaps this may have been a Bakelite or some other molded product. Someone with way more talent and woodworking tools than me, crafted this mount. The way it hugs and mirrors the beautiful contours and angles of this phone is what drew me to want it for my phone. Believe me, if I had the experience and power equipment to make one of these I would have already done it!
I will leave the future of this phone to the wisdom of someone else. I hope someone on this forum gets it so we can all know what becomes of it...& maybe where it came from, as well.

Benny
Benny