News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Store Finds, My First 5302

Started by persido, February 01, 2014, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I found 2 phones today in a antique store, a plastic 302 and my first 5302. Wow the 5302 is great I think this may be my new favorite phone. I opened the 5302 all the guts on the inside are dated 1950, is there anyway to tell when it was turned into a 5302. Both phones work and look great.

Scot

poplar1

Look for dates on the following:
Housing (front inside edge)--most likely between 1955 and 1963 if it's a Bell System housing
Handset Cord
Line Cord
164C-3 number plate

Those were probably all new parts when the phone was converted from a 302 to a 5302

Additional parts that may or may not have been new:
Dial--may have a rebuild date or L (lubrication) date
Handset--handle, caps
Transmitter
Receiver

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Nice find! Congrats! Everyone seems to fall in love with thier first 5302. They are an interesting phone, almost as interesting as the reason they were produced & distributed. If you don't mind, what was the prices?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 01, 2014, 07:16:28 PM
Nice find! Congrats! Everyone seems to fall in love with thier first 5302. They are an interesting phone, almost as interesting as the reason they were produced & distributed. If you don't mind, what was the prices?

Well, I must say, I never had fallen in love with my 5302, it is kind of like the person who you don't want, but you would feel bad kicking him/her out.

Though, I am sure you will be happy with your new 5302, it might just be my opinion. Good deal on the 302, as well!

Ben

persido

Doug Rose

Scot...I love the thick curly cord on the 5302. Looks like you have one as a line cord as well. Good deals my friend....Doug
Kidphone

persido

Just got done restoring the 5302, it works great, I think this is the coolest phone I have.

Scot

WesternElectricBen

zaphod01

Good looking phone! Did you find a date inside the shell?

There are many combinations among 5302's. I have one with a GF handset and a fat curly cord, one with a F1 handset and a straight cord, and a 5304 with GF handset and a thinner curly cord.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

persido

I could not find a date on the inside of the shell.

Scot

Dave203

The 5302 looks pretty cool. I wanna find one like that for myself now  ;D

Love the fat curley cord on it too and the number cards.. I bet it's got loud bells  ;)

poplar1

Did you find a date on the housing, number plate, or cords?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.