News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rivet sizing

Started by JimHyak, July 23, 2015, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimHyak

Has anyone compiled a list of rivet sizes for WE phones? I am close to being able to setup my shop, and will be adding a rivet station. With so many components mounted with rivets, I can't see being able to do a proper job without the ability to rivet things back together. I would search the BSPs for this, but I can't see there were ever BSPs for refurb shops (did they just wing it?)
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

poplar1

There were Bell System Repair Specs (BSRS) for the Western Electric repair shops. So far, these seem to be unobtainable. At least, there are ITT and GTE shop manuals available, but I don't know whether they mention rivets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

I have a Kellogg ITT500 that is very much like a WE  500.  The network and switch hook are held  in place with #6 nuts and bolts instead of rivets.  I don't know the history of this phone, but maybe the original switch hook and network were replaced and the replacements were bolted in instead of being riveted in.

rdelius

The Kellogg/ITT sets usually had the network and switchhook held in with screws.The switchhook also had lugs and was not soldered like the older WE 500 sets

andre_janew

It does have the newer 425E network instead of the older 425B network.  I now know that the network and switch hook were originally fastened in that way.  Thank you for pointing that out.  I mentioned my Kellogg/ITT set to point out that certain parts aren't always riveted in place.