"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Rare" pekin red 302 from 1940

Started by McHeath, June 26, 2010, 11:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Doug,
He's still not telling you everything.  Look very closely at the right corner of that phone in the top picture & you will notice an arch-shaped pattern where the plastic looks a shade or two darker.  This cover has had a missing chunk of the case repaired.  Looking at it from this angle reminds me of an illustrated article I read on the technique by Mark Scola.  The pictures used to illustrate the article were most likey this phone.  Mark did mention it was a very early colored 302.  The article was posted to the forum, but I can't find it now.
Stephen

Doug Rose

Stephen...I see the repair and I agree looks a lot like a Mark Scola type job, it is good. It is a good repair, but still a repair. It just doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. If I didn't have a red 302, I would go for this...Stil. it does make you wonder why he did not post the pictures in his I auction.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

I think you guys are right on this Pekin Red phone.  This photo Doug posted here joggled my memory.  I have a couple shots of a red phone Mark did some work on....the shape of the repair is very similar.  I don't KNOW that these two phones are the same.  There is also a photo of another repair from this batch.  I think it may be another corner.

It is what it is.  A nice early Red Peking 302.  But IF this is the repaired phone then it cannot be worth as much as one that wasn't repaired....in my opinion.  Again, I don't want to be libelous so I'm reiterating that I don't KNOW that these are one in the same telephone housings.

The first photo is a re-post of the earlier photo...just so you can see them together.

Jester

My thoughts exactly, Dennis.  It's a great looking phone that appears to have had some extensive repair & the repairs are obviously of high quality.  However this figures into the final price, it's worth more now than before the repairs.  My focus in my first post is that the pics. the seller sent Doug clearly show signs of repair without a word said, but all photos used in the auction creatively stay away from this area of repair.  I think it will go high, but I'd feel better about paying the money after being freely told of all the problems.
Stephen

McHeath

Hmm, notice the crack to the left of the break in the first two pictures.  It arches away from the repair/damaged area and is pretty much identical in both pictures.  My hunch is that this is the same phone, but I can't prove that of course.  The repair is skillful, and certain rare objects don't always have their value deeply affected by quality repairs.  I don't know if this phone is one of those objects.

I don't have a red 302, nor any 302s for that matter, but if I had the money this one would be worth a shot due to it's age and interesting features.  My opinion.

Dan/Panther

Look at the 3 photos, at the spots marked with the arrow. I believe these are one and the same phone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Very good work on this Dan....I agree, it is the same phone....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Did anyone jump at this? Went for a reasonable $364.....Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

I thought that price was reasonable as well.  Anybody land it?

Dan/Panther

It is rare, but just too much damage.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

D/P

WOW how did you spot that you make a hawks eyes inferior
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Wallphone

The same person that buys all the BSP's for mucho bucks got it. They also won the much talked about BSP's that Huckeby sold recently for $2234.
They are nana011 (n***0). I heard on another Listserv that they are a buyer for overseas clients.
That they work on a commission so the more they spend, the more they make.
Here are their recent purchases.
> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=nana011&completed=1&all=1&rows=50&sort=10&_rdc=1 <
Dougpav

HarrySmith

WOW :o
Those are some deep pockets :o
This is not good for the "regular" collectors community. He is hoarding all the good stuff and driving up the prices for us :(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on July 10, 2010, 08:29:21 AM
Here are their recent purchases.
> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=nana011&completed=1&all=1&rows=50&sort=10&_rdc=1 <
Dougpav

From this list, here is probably the best deal of all!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120474072699

"Hydrogen Generator HHO Toroid Coil Run a Car on Water" $83.00

Terry

HarrySmith

I noticed that one and ignored it because I do not believe anyone would pay over $80 to run a car on water ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"