News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pulse to tone converters ?

Started by LoveOldPhones, December 17, 2010, 08:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

is there a pulse to tone converter that you can just plug into and use?

i know about rotatone but is there something i can plug the phone into that will turn the pulses into tones?

i have a regular phone line that works fine if i want to dial a friend or some business that doesnt require touch tones.
is there some device that i can buy that doesnt require me to install it actually in the phone like the
rotatone?

that way i could use all my old phones for everything.

thanks

Phonesrfun

Well, other than Rotatone, you can always get a Panasonic 308 or 616 PBX that not only allows you to convert pulse to outgoing tone, but can also demonstrate your analog phones by dialing a 2 digit extension, dial "9" for an outside line, transfer, conference, and be like having your own office.  These usually sell for pretty cheap on e-Bay, like under $50.

You can hook almost any old phone to it.  102, 202 (Both with subsets), 302, or 500's

Cheers,

-Bill
-Bill G

stub

LovesOldPhones,
                          If the link still works you could build one of these. I have built several and they work just great for me, the biggest problem will be getting a box to put the touch pad in. I have mine where I can plug any phone I have in series with my box and I have touch tone any time I need it.  I'll try to find pics to hook up the boxto any phoneand post later.
                          I do have the touch pads already fixed if you would like to buy one . Let me know they are 8.00 plus shipping till I run out of touch pads.  stub
                                                    http://tinyurl.com/ygr4jz3
Kenneth Stubblefield

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: stub1953 on December 17, 2010, 10:20:24 PM
LovesOldPhones,
                           If the link still works you could build one of these. I have built several and they work just great for me, the biggest problem will be getting a box to put the touch pad in. I have mine where I can plug any phone I have in series with my box and I have touch any time I need it.  I'll try to find pics to hook up the boxto any phoneand post later.
                           I do have the touch pads already fixed if you would like to buy one . Let me know they are 8.00 plus shipping till I run out of touch pads.  stub

http://tinyurl.com/ygr4jz3

thanks so much for your suggestion .... its  something to think about.

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 17, 2010, 09:17:43 PM
Well, other than Rotatone, you can always get a Panasonic 308 or 616 PBX that not only allows you to convert pulse to outgoing tone, but can also demonstrate your analog phones by dialing a 2 digit extension, dial "9" for an outside line, transfer, conference, and be like having your own office.  These usually sell for pretty cheap on e-Bay, like under $50.

You can hook almost any old phone to it.  102, 202 (Both with subsets), 302, or 500's

Cheers,

-Bill
thanks Bill..... thats interesting.  i dont care about the dial 9 feature..... just want to be able to dial a tone when they give me an option.
can this be used on a regular phone line that accepts pulse dialing?
thanks

dsk

I use dialgizmo and have no trouble with that one, it is the "only way" to keep a rotary at my desk at the office.
http://tinyurl.com/yfkovm5

dsk

Phonesrfun

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on December 18, 2010, 12:46:47 AM
thanks Bill..... thats interesting.  i dont care about the dial 9 feature..... just want to be able to dial a tone when they give me an option.
can this be used on a regular phone line that accepts pulse dialing?
thanks

Then I think you will want the rotatone, or the Stan Schreier adjunct Touch Tone Dial that Stub was talking about.  The Rotatone, and perhaps the Dialgizmo that DSK refers to have sequences you can dial with the rotary dial that will produce the star and the pound symbol tones.  The Panasonic will not.  It only produces numbers.

-Bill G

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: d_s_k on December 18, 2010, 02:12:34 AM
I use dialgizmo and have no trouble with that one, it is the "only way" to keep a rotary at my desk at the office.
http://tinyurl.com/yfkovm5

dsk

great THANKS  DSK.  so then... this device WILL work with a phone line that DOES support pulse dialing?   i just want to make sure.

dsk

It will send tones, but stop pulses to prevent double digits.
If the exchange dont accept dtmf, will this not be a solution.
The unit may have problems with  * and # if not the dial shorts the line when dialling.

dsk

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: d_s_k on December 18, 2010, 04:55:51 PM
The unit may have problems with  * and # if not the dial shorts the line when dialling.

dsk

DSK....  you are gonna have to excuse me..... i dont know what you mean by the exchange and dtmf.
i have a regular telephone line that i can call out on with my rotary phones..... i want a device that i can plug into that will make the pulses into tones so i can have touch tone service when i call places i have to use touch tones.... like customer service situitations with companies.

will this device work on the  regular phone line that i  use now with my rotary phone  already?
thanks

stub

LoveOldPhones ,
                      Here's mine that I use on all my phones.  The pig tail plugs into the modular jack in the wall  and the telephone ,with a mod. jack, plugs in the other end of white mod. box.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dsk

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on December 18, 2010, 06:11:23 PM
Quote from: d_s_k on December 18, 2010, 04:55:51 PM

dsk

DSK....  you are gonna have to excuse me..... i dont know what you mean by the exchange and dtmf.
i have a regular telephone line that i can call out on with my rotary phones..... i want a device that i can plug into that will make the pulses into tones so i can have touch tone service when i call places i have to use touch tones.... like customer service situitations with companies.

will this device work on the  regular phone line that i  use now with my rotary phone  already?
thanks

Your line has to accept tone dialling, the unit makes all your digits to tone.
E.g. You dial a digit and listen, you will hear a short beep when the unit sends the tone instad of the rotary pulses.
If you just dial the next digit, the tone is sent while you are turning the dial and before you have released it for the next digit.
It is just a box fooling the other end to believe you have a touch tone telephone. :D

I hope this made it understandable. English is not my native language, sometimes I have to try several times :)

dsk

HarrySmith

Just thought I would chime in with my two cents. It does not sound like you need a converter for what you want to do. You will not get the # or * that way. The TT dial in a box that Stub pictured is a great idea! That sounds like just what you need. Will give you tone on any phone, easy to move from one to another and easy to build.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bellsystemproperty

If I understand correctly you want a device (like the Dialgizmo) that will convert to touchtone, which is also called dtmf, so you can call numbers on the phone that require you to send dtmf digits. The Dialgizmo will let you dial * and # by holding the 1 or 2 an extra second longer.

http://www.dialgizmo.com/how_it_works.html

I don't have one of them myself but it seems to be a good device.

C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on December 19, 2010, 03:44:06 PM
If I understand correctly you want a device (like the Dialgizmo) that will convert to touchtone, which is also called dtmf, so you can call numbers on the phone that require you to send dtmf digits. The Dialgizmo will let you dial * and # by holding the 1 or 2 an extra second longer.

http://www.dialgizmo.com/how_it_works.html

I don't have one of them myself but it seems to be a good device.

yes.... i saw them and thats what i was considering.  i didnt know how reliable they were.
i think someone mentioned it.... if anyone is currently using one please chime in about it.
thanks