News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Quicky Cord Cleaning...

Started by DavePEI, November 14, 2015, 08:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Just an idea for those needing to clean cords. Today, I brought an M7208 over from the Museum to test with the spare Norstar 6x16. After I took a photo, I realized how filthy the handset cord was getting. Not wanting to get the cord completely wet, and then having to give it a long dry time, I came up with an idea.

I took an empty large margarine tub and lid, and cut a slot halfway across the lid, and a small circular cut-out in the middle. I took the Norstar modular plugs, and inserted them through the slit in the cover, so the cord hung below and the modular plugs stayed high and dry. I then filled the tub with hot water, and about one tablespoon of oxy-clean, then placed the cover on it so the cord dropped into the tub.

When done, I will towel it off, rinse in hot water, and without a long drying time, it should be good to go.

While I have cleaned many cords with oxy-clean, and it does an excellent job, I usually have submerged the ends, and they require a long drying time.

Here are the results of my experiment mentioned below. With half an hour of soaking and 5 minutes after cleaning to dry, the cord is good to go.

There is a before and after shot of the cord. The before one was a bit over-exposed, so the cord looks mostly white, but it is indeed a grey cord (with the exception of the very black mildewed portions). The after shot is very close to its actual colour. Below is the modified tub I made to do the soaking. This entire process took half an hour, and after a quick rinse and towel drying, the cord is good to go. It took one tablespoon of powdered oxy-clean, as opposed to the usual half cup I use in a sinkful of cords. The advantage, is it is ready to go immediately after towel drying.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jim Stettler

Does the oxy mix work on all colors of cords, or just light colored ones?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DavePEI

Hi Jim:

I can't say all colours, but I have used it on white, grey and black cords, as well as the odd blue, red and brown one. It seems to work for all I have tried. The beauty of it is it doesn't require scrubbing. At best, a light hand rubbing between your fingers hen it come out of the oxy-clean solution.

The oxy-clean I use is a generic form in crystals, (No Name Oxy-Pro), which I buy in a 68 gram can, and works really well. If using it in a margarine dish as I suggested, it only takes a tablespoon full to do the job.

Usually I just throw a bunch of cords into the sink of hot water along with half a cup of oxy-clean, but this is certainly a better way to clean single cords. Normally the drying time is a day or two to allow the connectors to dry out thoroughly, but of course, this way keeps the connector ends dry.

The advantage of this is if there is any mildew on the cord, it will kill the mildew right down to its roots, and it will stay clean for a very long time. Also, using oxy-clean, the cord needs far less manipulation. Soak the cord until the oxy clean stops bubbling, and usually it doesn't even need to be rubbed down. Just a quick rinse in hot water.

Dave

Quote from: Jim S. on November 14, 2015, 09:03:34 PM
Does the oxy mix work on all colors of cords, or just light colored ones?
Jim
C*NET 1-651-0001

oldguy

I just tried it last night, it worked great. Thanks Dave.
Gary

DavePEI

Quote from: oldguy on December 03, 2015, 05:22:47 PM
I just tried it last night, it worked great. Thanks Dave.

I hope you guys don't mind these little suggestions. It is great when just cleaning one or two cords. If you are doing a bunch, a bucket or sink are still the better way, but I find this simple way is the best if there are only one or two to clean up, and they come out looking brand new!
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on November 14, 2015, 09:16:48 PMThe oxy-clean I use is a generic form in crystals, (No Name Oxy-Pro), which I buy in a 68 gram can, and works really well.

Where do you buy that Dave? 
Cliff

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernElectric on December 05, 2015, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on November 14, 2015, 09:16:48 PMThe oxy-clean I use is a generic form in crystals, (No Name Oxy-Pro), which I buy in a 68 gram can, and works really well.

Just at the local Red and White store in Belfast. but it is available in Superstore, Sobeys, Loblaws, just about everywhere. It is cheaper than branded oxy-clean powder, but is the same stuff. Depending on where you buy it, it may come in a yellow or a white no-name plastic can type bottle. Inside, each comes with a scoop type measure - about half a measure will do a cord if doing them this way. Just fill it most of the way with hot water out of the tap, add the half scoop, the cord, and away you go! Don't fill it quite all the way to the top, as it will foam as it cleans and will foam out the opening you have cut in the top. Leave the cord in it for about half an hour.
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on December 05, 2015, 09:30:36 AM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on December 05, 2015, 07:59:49 AM

Just at the local Red and White store in Belfast. but it is available in Superstore, Sobeys, Loblaws, just about everywhere.

Thanks Dave.  None of those chains have stores around here, but they do have small town chains affiliated with them which carry the same store brands and no name stuff (eg. YIG instead of Loblaws).  I guess this is so they don't have to give us the nationally advertised city prices.  The package image and description will help me to find it.
Cliff

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernElectric on December 05, 2015, 10:08:30 AM
Thanks Dave.  None of those chains have stores around here, but they do have small town chains affiliated with them which carry the same store brands and no name stuff (eg. YIG instead of Loblaws).  I guess this is so they don't have to give us the nationally advertised city prices.  The package image and description will help me to find it.
Of course, if you can't find the no-name brand, regular oxy-clean works just as well. It is just that if you can find a no-name brand, the cost is about 1/2 the cost of the name brand. I am sure you will find it, though...
C*NET 1-651-0001

Babybearjs

the one thing that seems to work for me is a sink of hot water, and a 1/2 cup of Cascade. even the generic dishwasher soap works... I just put the cord in and run it through my fingers under the water a few times and then take it out and let it dry.... haven't lost a cord yet.....
John