News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular handset cord ends

Started by oldguy, August 21, 2018, 01:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

Does anybody sell handset cord modular ends? I have a couple handset cords that have the wiring showing & would like to put new ends on to repair them. do you use the same tool as line cord ends?
Gary

rdelius

They can be repaired just like line cords. The connector is narrower.Some crimpers will crimp the handset connectors. Possibly on ebay for  the connectors and tool . 4p4c ,Ihave seen them called rj22 or rj 9 but this might not be correct

Ktownphoneco

Gary   .....   Amazon.com sell them as well, and they refer to them as "RJ10".   Amazon link :  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RJ10

They also carry a cheap crimping tool for $3.72.    A picture and description is shown on the page that comes up when you click on the above link.

Jeff Lamb

Key2871

I've only known them as RJ22. Shop around, some places will over charge you for them.
KEN

oldguy

Thanks Guys, I'll go shopping, now that I know what to shop for.
Gary

Pourme

Gary,

I looked for the source of my modular plugs and couldn't find it. John (TelePlay) shared it with me perhaps he may remember.

My inexpensive crimping tool, I think I purchased at Lowe's, does the line cord and handset cords. They carry the tool and some of the plugs, as well. They get cheaper when you order on line.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

I think the most consistant name for the plugs is 4p4c, line cords are 6p6c,  rj45 are 8p8c
Quote from: rdelius on August 21, 2018, 02:21:31 PM
They can be repaired just like line cords. The connector is narrower.Some crimpers will crimp the handset connectors. Possibly on ebay for  the connectors and tool . 4p4c ,Ihave seen them called rj22 or rj 9 but this might not be correct
handset-4p4c is 4 position, 4 conductor
line cord are 6 position and can be 2,4 or 6 conductor.
RJ45* are 8 position and typically 8 conductor
The plugs can be made for solid or stranded wire and the plugs can be for flat or round cordage.
I feel the metal crimp tool that has spaces for each size end are the best, however I used to crimp with a plastic tool for a very long time.
JMO,
Jim S.

*RJ45 is actuallly a wiring configuration
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Found this tonight. Looks like a good price for an all in one tool.

Modular-Crimper-Stripper-Cutter-Stripper-Stripping

I paid just under $100.00 for my paladin crimper and that was twenty years ago. They are great crimpers but these days, it just isn't worth the price, but there wasn't anything else at that time.
KEN