News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yes... another "first pay phone"

Started by shortrackskater, May 13, 2016, 09:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Regarding D.I.Y. controller, my prototyp is described here: http://tinyurl.com/jkzpang

Shematics under.

dsk

shortrackskater

Thanks for the schmetic and info.
Still hope I didn't damage my relay.
Mark J.

dsk

You probably did not. My guess are: if you force the relay to operate, and a coin or othe things blocks its operation, you may use more force then the electromagnet, and then have a risk of damaging the relay. This will be a loooong text to put on the relay. :-)

dsk

shortrackskater

Thanks dsk! Good to know. I'll work on getting or building a coin controller, and I'm sure I'll be back soon.
Mark J.

Stan S

A few comments about all single coil coin relays.

When voltage is applied to a coin relay the electromagnet (depending on the polarity of the voltage) will cause the magnetic flux on the pole piece to move the permanent magnet mounted on the plastic card to move to the left or the right. The plastic card will THEN pull in the armature. This is the proper operational sequence of the coin relay

By pushing the armature manually (even if there aren't any coins in the hopper) you are forcing the plastic card to operate in a reverse sequence. In the case of a 1A coin relay this will crack off the cast plastic shoulders on the left and right sides of the mounting screw that holds the plastic card on the back of the relay.

Once these shoulders are worn or missing the card won't know in which direction to move. The damaged relay will now cycle between refund and collect each time it's signaled to operate, even if the voltage applied tells it to only refund each time.

When I rebuild a payphone with a working coin mechanism I always put new plastic parts on the coin relay. The old parts go right in the garbage.

If a coin relay is in perfect condition when you attempt to push the armature back manually you will feel that there is a physical resistance. That physical resistance is caused by the plastic card. Force the armature back a few times manually and that resistance will disappear, along with the proper operation of the coin relay.

Stan S.

trainman

That makes sense. Ive noticed the resistance in trying to push a coin relay closed.

Stan S

Tony and all.
If you must operate a single coil coin relay manually push down on these V surfaces from the sides of the relay with a screw driver. See below.

Stan S.

Stan the Man

Gosh!! I hope I don't "Have to have" one of those late models..

Stan

shortrackskater

Thanks Stan S -  The pictures help. I appreciate it.
Mark J.