News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - July 2014

Started by AE_Collector, May 29, 2014, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - July 2014   (TWO VOTES EACH)

dsk's payphone for $84
3 (9.7%)
New England Tel.'s Northern Electric 554Q3A local battery wall phone for $19.99 + S&H
8 (25.8%)
wds' Kellogg F135 desk phone won on eBay for $283.78 plus $18.70 shipping
5 (16.1%)
Russ Kirk's Western Electric Calculagraph #33 KS-7769-L gift from a neighbor
1 (3.2%)
poplar1's transparent Princess on eBay for a BIN price of $49.95 + $12.35 shipping
9 (29%)
ETS1979's colored 202 found at a local antique mall for $16
4 (12.9%)
Fabius'  wooden hand crank wall phone with long pole receiver from a southern Michigan antique mall for $61.01
8 (25.8%)
Doug Rose's GPO PMBX found at an Estate Sale for $25 years ago and in his basement this month
1 (3.2%)
LarryInMichigan's WE #10 candlestick for $112 including shipping
14 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on July 19, 2014, 02:58:24 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on July 19, 2014, 02:51:26 PM
354 in -18 would be indeed be ... like unobtainium.  But it looks more like Rust-oleum.

Yes, I know. I wish Scot would have put more into into his listing. He didn't say either way. I am hoping it not someone's paint job. I know the 302 came in -18 but couldn't find a reference to that color in the 354 series. Sccot did say "I have been busy cleaning and fixing it up this past week." but nothing about painting it. If it is indeed painted, I will withdraw the nomination. More pictures of the phone, inside and out, at the original post would help. Doug Rose asked for more pictures of the insides at the original post. Without any before pictures, all we have to go on is the high rez photos Scot posted. I will be watching and if I am wrong and this is a painted black phone,  . .    Well, we will have a few days to see what others and Scot have to say about it. I've seen these in ivory, never blue, and can't quickly find the BSP stating the available colors for the 354.
It was only made in ivory (-4) and black (-3). Come on guys, it's obvious... handset is black Bakelite and cord is a repro.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on July 19, 2014, 03:09:47 PM
It was only made in ivory (-4) and black (-3). Come on guys, it's obvious... handset is black Bakelite and cord is a repro.

Thanks! Will remove the nomination now. This is the problem with painted phones and those of us who do not have the in depth knowledge of this kind of phone data, and poor memories. Won't make that mistake again, though, the nominating mistake, that is.

Mr. Bones

I realize that my opinion, and a few dollars will buy you a cup of coffee....(maybe)

I saw this 354 when first posted, eliciting instant and copious Pavlovian response, as well as a certain degree of envy, given the purchase price of $10 US. Given Scot's remarkable ability to transform colours on phones, I had to secretly wonder if it was an original blue.

I cannot express, in words, how deeply I desire one of these for my kitchen wallphone. While I have two 35x phones, a blue -18 has been, as aforementioned, unobtanium to me.

That being said, if indeed the phone was purchased as a black, coated with 1/2 lb. of dirt, and made into such a remarkable telephone, I'd have to give kudos to Scot for yet another remarkable restoration / renovation.

In summary, I would have absolutely zero issues voting for it as a contender for Find of the Month, but it would be nice to have more information, as to its original colour, etc. Maybe I can make a much-desired dream phone out of mongrel parts, etc., that I already have, hmmm?

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

LarryInMichigan

There is some pretty stiff competition this month, but I will nominate my WE #10 candlestick anyway.  It was $112 with shipping.

Larry

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12263.msg129504#msg129504

Fabius

Nice find. Tell us where you found it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

New England Tel.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 23, 2014, 10:15:39 AM
Quote from: Fabius on July 23, 2014, 09:40:35 AM
Nice find. Tell us where you found it.

On the internet :)

Thanks a lot, Larry, that's really specific!

Or was that by design?   ;)
-Bob Archambault

TelePlay

Once again it's time to vote for your favorite "Finds" from July 2014. With 9 phones nominated this month, two (2) votes from each member voting will be allowed in this month's contest.

This month, we have an interesting, wide variety of candidates to choose from so give each a serious review, a bit of thought and vote for the two that you would have liked to have found yourself!

Good luck to all of this months contestants!

Sargeguy

Don't tell me a candlestick phone might win "Find of the Month"!  And a wooden phone is tied for second! 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Speaking of candlestick phones, here is a bad picture of my #10 looking somewhat better.  I soaked all of the metal parts, except the transmitter front (because I could not loosen the screws holding the transmitter) in CLR for a while, and the corrosion came off.

Larry

AE_Collector

Well, i got my 30th vote and its Sunday night so time to declare the winner. Lots of real good competition again this month but as Sargeguy said, it is almost surprising to have a Candlestick win the Find of the Month!

Congratulations Larry on your excellent find and for being the owner of the Candlestick that won the Find of the Month!

Thanks for all the entries this month and thanks to everyone who placed their votes.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

My candlestick and I thank everyone who voted for us.  Now that it has won the FOTM competition, my candlestick has aspirations to go on to greater accomplishments and eventually become a 500 ;D

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 11, 2014, 08:02:44 AM
My candlestick and I thank everyone who voted for us.  Now that it has won the FOTM competition, my candlestick has aspirations to go on to greater accomplishments and eventually become a 500 ;D

Larry
Then it can go to even greater heights and someone can melt it and put sequins on it, and sell it as a piece of art! >:( Nice to see a truely vintage phone win!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

QuoteSarge: Isn't a WE 10 just a very very early WE 500?

Yes but it isn't soft plastic, so I am shocked that it won! 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409