News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 (1939) No DIAL tone. However rings normally

Started by acolabrese, January 26, 2014, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acolabrese

I am trying to restore a 1939 WE 302. My issue is, I'm not hearing a dial tone. I rewired the phone using a diagram I downloaded and used before on other phones. This one is really giving me a headache. When someone calls in, the phone rings normally. When I pick up the handset, the phone keeps ringing. I cleaned the contacts where ever I could. The dial moves freely too. It's has a date stamp of 4/37. I took the handset elements out of the phone and put them into another model that works, and they are fine. So I think the problem lies between the hook switch and the induction coil.

Any suggestions?

TelePlay

Can you take good, in focus close up photos of the dial wiring and the base wiring and post them here?

acolabrese

Here are the images.

Contempra

I don't know if you the 302 with 2 or 4 wires so here is the two shematics

4 wires

2 wires

Phonesrfun

Step 1.  Make sure there is a transmitter in the handset and that the contact springs are making contact with the base of the transmitter.

Step 2 is to check the handset cord wires inside the handset.

Can you more fully describe what you did to clean the hookswitch contacts?  Did you do any other disassembly?
-Bill G

poplar1

Too many wires on L1 and not enough on L2Y. Since it rings OK, it must be the yellow hookswitch wire that needs to move from L1 to L2Y.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

acolabrese

I swapped out the handset transmitters. Inserted two from another 302 which I restored. They worked 2 minutes before I inserted them. So It can't be them. The wires are correctly wired inside the handset. Nickel was polished. They are exactly matching the 302, which works a.. okay. Also a two wire ringer. The wires match on the phones.

acolabrese

poplar1

Quote from: acolabrese on January 26, 2014, 02:44:29 PM
I swapped out the handset transmitters. Inserted two from another 302 which I restored. They worked 2 minutes before I inserted them. So It can't be them. The wires are correctly wired inside the handset. Nickel was polished. They are exactly matching the 302, which works a.. okay. Also a two wire ringer. The wires match on the phones.

In your photo, there are 4 wires on L1 and 2 wires on L2Y, instead of 3 and 3. Both yellow wires should be on L2Y; one is on L1 in the photo. Are you saying that it still doesn't work after moving the yellow hooskswitch wire to L2Y?

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

poplar1

Quote from: Contempra on January 26, 2014, 12:36:01 PM
I don't know if you the 302 with 2 or 4 wires so here is the two shematics

The diagram for a "302/4-wire ringer" won't help since it is actually a 304 that has been rewired for single line. The induction coil, ringer, hookswitch, and terminal block are all different.

acolabrese

Here are some updated phones. After rewiring again.

The shiny bells are the problem phone, the dull ones are my functioning 302. Dated 1941.

No Soap Doc.

poplar1

There are many ways to troubleshoot a 302 once you have all the wires in the right place. The way I do it is to bypass the dial and hookswitch to start: move the white handset wire to GN on the induction coil and black handset wire to L2Y.

tallguy58

What I do is rip everything out and start over step by step following those pictures from the PDF file.

I've never gone wrong yet.

The wire on Y on the dial looks like it has a bare conductor (missing insulation) in the middle of it.
Cheers........Bill

acolabrese

It does have a bare spot. I made sure to not ground it, until I can seal it with liquid electric tape.