"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won a Telegrafverket phone - New pictures posted

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 20, 2009, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270499612608

I just can't seem to help myself.  The ivory color was enticing.  I wonder why nobody else wanted it.

Larry

Phonesrfun

That's a great phone and a great price.

I only have one European (German Siemens) dial phone, but it works well.  Yours looks to be in good shape, and the dial looks like it needs a little of your tender loving care.

Congratulations.

-Bill
-Bill G

McHeath

Oh you bought one of THOSE phones, well the reason no one else wanted it was because these phones come alive at night and rewire all the Western Electric phones in your collection so that they will only speed dial your 7th grade English teacher Mrs. Hornrimm and ask her if she has Prince Albert in a Can.

Kinda embarrassing, hence no auction action.  
;)

Nice phone, and yes it's a pretty ivory color.  The line cord has an adaptor on it so I guess someone's been using it.

LarryInMichigan

The seller indicated in the listing that they connected it, and that it rings, but they didn't say how well it worked otherwise.  I think that the reason for the way that the dial looks is that this is one of those Oslo phones with the backwards dial markings, and a card or sticker was placed over the bezel with the numbers in the normal order.  I'll have to figure out what to do with it once it arrives.  Also, note that the default shipping charge shown is much more than the least expensive option ($11.84), which is not much more than the usual flat rate medium box price.   

Larry

bingster

I think that's the bargain of the week!  The low bid may be the timing of the auction.  There's not much activity on ebay in the week or two before Christmas, so there are often great bargains to be had.
= DARRIN =

AET

Very nice!  I buy American, but it's a very beautiful phone.
- Tom

dsk

Granulation's!!  :)
You have won a Norwegian telephone.  :D
(Telegrafverket was the name of the (almost) monoply telephone company here at that time.)

This one is made by Elektrisk Bureau. And as far as I know this was partly owned by Western Electric for some years.

The phone is a 1953 model designed by Johan Christian Bjerknes and may be used as a wall or table top, just rotate the dial 180 deg.
The Ivory telephones are just made from 1956 to  1966 in a total number of : 28900!
and are quite rare.
They are totally compatible to US network, but may have a high level transmitter.
(signal corps telephone TA43 (312) transmitter should fit)
The telephone is designed for long bad lines, and a wiring digram should be inside. 
OBS! :o the unit marked T are receiver, M are Transmitter.
The ringer is probably about 3 REN (just a guess)
A resistor could easily replace strap marked X.
The dial is based on a W.E. the original dial numbers was enamel plate. Probably red on white. It is mad in regular, and reverse dial versions.
The center of the dial could be a plastic cover, or a metal plate with the dial no.

Our telephone, when I grew up was a black one like this.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

d_s_k,

Thank you very much for the information.  It sounds like this phone should be valuable if there were so few made in ivory, and far fewer likely came to the USA.  I am anxious to receive it.  I hope to post some pictures and information once it arrives.

Larry

mienaichizu

I like those European phones, its like, for me European phones has a unique design as compared to other phone makes

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Oh you bought one of THOSE phones, well the reason no one else wanted it was because these phones come alive at night and rewire all the Western Electric phones in your collection so that they will only speed dial your 7th grade English teacher Mrs. Hornrimm and ask her if she has Prince Albert in a Can.

Kinda embarrassing, hence no auction action.  
;)

Once again Heath comes through with his highly educated and always entertaining and thoughtful research. ;D
-Matt

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom

I'd find it very difficult to pass up a good German Siemans phone from the war era, or a black Japanese NEC phone like the one's that Ramil has, if one came up at a reasonable price. If I buy a European or Japanese phone from someone in the U.S. then does that count as buying American? ;)
-Matt

talkingtime

Yes it's true! They are haunted, I had one and made my other phones ring when no one was calling.

HobieSport

Hello and welcome, talkingtime. Haunted phones? Yipes. ;)
-Matt

AET

I would take a nice foreign job, just am really into the ones you'd see in your average American home.

Quote from: HobieSport on December 22, 2009, 04:28:05 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom

I'd find it very difficult to pass up a good German Siemans phone from the war era, or a black Japanese NEC phone like the one's that Ramil has, if one came up at a reasonable price. If I buy a European or Japanese phone from someone in the U.S. then does that count as buying American? ;)
- Tom

dsk

Foreign phones :)
It is probably 2 telephones I momentary think about as typical American phones.

The candlestick, (never used in Norway) and the 2500 style.

We did not have pushbutton telephones before about 1980, even when the carbon transmitter was replaced by a transistorized circuit, and dynamic element from  1967.

(I have one 1975 modell, but this was only one of an experimental production.)

Where I lived before, the C.O. did not accept DTMF before 1985, i guess.

The one in top of this thread was the last Norwegian model without any semiconductors at all.

dsk