News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Input needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by stub, November 21, 2009, 04:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi, I have a AE 1908 , wooden wall phone ( 7 1/2" X 6 1/2")  I need to finish but can't decide which way .  This phone came out in solid black but  I think I would like to slightly modify the door. Here are the pictures - original black   or  natural finish . All advice will be considered.  Stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

foots

stub1953, that's a nice looking phone. My opinion is that if You like the natural finish, then by all means go with it. I agree with you that the natural finish is quite attractive. Are you planning on stripping the whole cabinet or just the door?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

I would say the natural looks nicer.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

donna

Phonesrfun

I wasn't going to vote, but I vote for natural.  It may be hard, however to get the black paint out of the deeper parts of the grain.  I am not a woodworker, so I don't know for sure.

-Bill G

stub

foots,
        I'll just do  the front of the door. The black in the grain will provide contrast. The 2nd. picture was  solid black when I got it and it worked out fine.
         BTW does anybody know anyone who can renickel the receiver hook?
                                                                 Thanks , stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Thanks everybody for the input!!!!!  That's what I thought also, but it always pays to get others input!!  Thanks, stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

gpo706

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 21, 2009, 07:47:45 PM
I wasn't going to vote, but I vote for natural.  It may be hard, however to get the black paint out of the deeper parts of the grain.  I am not a woodworker, so I don't know for sure.

Same here, basic woodworking skills, best leave as is dude.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Phonesrfun

Chuck Irwin aka "The Phone Company" in Portland, OR has a source for re-nickeling.

Chuck Iriwn
The Phone Company
14021 NE Fremont St
Portland, OR 97230-2913
503-253-1124

You can tell him Bill Geurts from Walla Walla sent you.
-Bill G

stub

Phonesrfun,
                 Thanks I will give him a call monday!!!
Kenneth Stubblefield

bingster

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 21, 2009, 07:47:45 PMIt may be hard, however to get the black paint out of the deeper parts of the grain.  I am not a woodworker, so I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't even worry about getting the black out of the grain.  Most deeply grained woods, such as oak and mahogany, are supposed to have their grain filled with black or dark brown grain filler before finishing, anyway.  The only time it wasn't done was in high volume woodworking, when there just wasn't time to use grain filler.
= DARRIN =

stub

bingster, Thanks. the 2nd pic was black till I refinished it. I thought it came out fairly nice looking, for a wrong box phone. This was a ringer box someone somewhere fixed up. Fooled me for a while . The 1st pic is the correct box for the gutts.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 21, 2009, 10:43:15 PM
Chuck Irwin aka "The Phone Company" in Portland, OR has a source for re-nickeling.

Chuck Iriwn
The Phone Company
14021 NE Fremont St
Portland, OR 97230-2913
503-253-1124

Phonesrfun,  Thanks  . I found one 23 miles from home . Adamsville , Dan/Panther
went by and didn't see it.   
                      If it turns out good I'll show it , if not everybody will know not to use them .     Later   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield