News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grabaphone Handset Repairs, as I go..Thanks U.P.S.

Started by Dan/Panther, October 03, 2008, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I still have to hook it up and see if it works, I installed a new handset cord, when I turn the hand crank, I hear response in the earpiece, but still have not tested the mic. Frankly, I don't know how to check it. except hook it up.
Does anyone know how to test a mic ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

My best guess would be to hook it in series with a D-cell battery, and then hook them  both in series with a WE 500 or equivalent.

That wouldn't be a great set-up, but should at least tell you if you're getting some sort of sound reproduction out of the transmitter.

bingster

Dan, couldn't you hook up a meter to the transmitter's terminals and check for a meter response as you speak into it?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster, I don't know how to test.?????? I get no response from a meter check, and the same with W.E. microphone.
Here is my Kellogg F-1809G Grabaphone, proudly mounted in my kitchen.

D/P

bingster

Well, Dan, I know it didn't arrive as expected, but I have to say it looks just brilliant hanging there. 

I don't know enough to know how to check the electrical response, but there's gotta be a way.  I bet Bill Cahill would know. :P
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

My friend Dip Pan Dan, as I call him, believes in originality, as I do... I aplaud him for that. Great job, DP!!!
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Thanks everyone, the only thing now, would be to maybe replace the door if I find one. I just can't bring myself to destroy that decal.
I feel like I've learned alot about vintage phones in a very short period of time.
Thanks to all of you guys.
D/P

Bill Cahill

Dan, nice job on repairs on hand set.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."