News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd 634 Wiring Help Needed

Started by Jack, October 20, 2008, 11:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I have a couple connected to old 302 bases with 101A induction coil.  My mounting cord is wired like this:

Black to GND on mounting board.
Red to R on Induction Coil
Green to GN on Induction Coil
Yellow to "Y" or "L2" (Same terminal)

Line cord :  Red to L1, Green to L2

Dennis Markham

Brian, I did notice the New Jersey State Trooper thing.  I figured you did just that, cut and pasted something else you were doing in the middle of that post.

I have a couple of buffers that I use.  I have one that is slow (a hand held) made for car waxing.  The second is a hand held Ryobi that sells for $19.99 at Home Depot.  It fits in the palm of one hand.  Works great.  It's faster but has a nice foamy cushion with a terry cloth cover that is removable, replaceable and washable.  I also have a high speed buffer on the bench.  But care must be taken in using that.  You can ruin a piece of plastic very fast.  It works good on Bakelite after I have use the other two.

For me the key to removing that old grime on a Bakelite hand set has been to wash the handset first in warm sudsy water.  Then using Novus2 with a cotton athletic sock, remove much of the dirt.  The sock will turn a nasty brown as the dirt that appears to be invisible continues to come off.  Heat from the friction of the sock against the Bakelite helps to remove the dirt.  Then I use the Ryobi.  The speed of that terry cloth against the Bakelite also heats up the surface and removes the dirt.  I keep doing this until the rag no longer turns brown.  Sometimes the shine never returns, but you can get it pretty shiny.  Then put some good ole black paste shoe polish on the handset, let it sit for about ten minutes and buff it.  It will look pretty good.

BDM

Ahh, the shoe polish is a good idea. I'll need to try that. My experience with buffing anything other than an automotive paint job is limited. I need to play with my buffer a little more. I have a few handsets I can experiment with. I've avoided thermoplastic until I have a good safe technique down.

You're right. Friend sent me a YouTube vid of NJSP officers beating an on-duty city officer. It's short, but I didn't buy it so to say. I was trying to find out if it was real.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Jack

Ha! IT WORKS!!!
I have no idea what was going on with the previous wiring but I followed the diagram and got through! Thank you so much,
Jack

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Jack

Yes, especially since it worked and I found this forum, I could definitely not have done this alone. The schematics from before were useful but not as easy to follow.
So now can I use the other induction coil as another network? And do I need the capacitor or can I skip it? I was reading the comments about there being too many wires on the board, which is simply because I have to condensers hooked up, 1 for the ringer and 1 for the network.