News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is a Beige 1554 Worth?

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 02, 2013, 10:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I found a beige 1554 in fair condition for sale.  Are these worth much?

Larry

Phonesrfun

Vern P might be very interested in that one!  i don't remember if he is looking for a beige or ivory.  maybe Ivory. 

He still might know the value, since colored 1554s are one series of phones he has.

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Vern was looking for ivory.  I expect that beige is far more common than ivory.

Larry

AE_Collector

How about 10 button desk Trimlines? Anyone know what sort of price range these go in? I have one in beige as well as a matching 12 button and a rotary. I keep thinking I should sell them as a set.

Terry

jsowers

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 02, 2013, 11:07:18 AM
How about 10 button desk Trimlines? Anyone know what sort of price range these go in? I have one in beige as well as a matching 12 button and a rotary. I keep thinking I should sell them as a set.

Terry

Terry, a light beige 1220 (10-button Trimline) just sold on New Year's Eve for an incredible $148.49. I hope nobody from the Forum was high bidder because the phone had damage. If you can find the lucky runner-up, you can sure make him or her a deal! This one had a big chip on the cutout area where the handset cord entered the handset. I wrote the seller asking about chips or cracks and urged him to add the picture of the damage he sent me to the auction, but he didn't. All he did was add to the auction text. I have to wonder if the high bidder saw it. Here's the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350679090918
( dead link 06-03-21 )
Jonathan

AE_Collector

I've got nothing on the runner up or the winner. I do know who put the first bit for $12.15 on it though but I was hoping that I could get a little more than that for it.

Back to what a 1554 in Beige is worth for Larry.....

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 02, 2013, 10:20:51 AM

Larry

Larry, as long as it doesn't have any damage, it's worth about $40 - $50 retail. The last one that I put on eBay sold for about $47.00  Beige is the most common color of the 1554's.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: kleenax on January 02, 2013, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 02, 2013, 10:20:51 AM

Larry

Larry, as long as it doesn't have any damage, it's worth about $40 - $50 retail. The last one that I put on eBay sold for about $47.00  Beige is the most common color of the 1554's.

Thank you Ray.  The seller wants $15 for it.  After shipping, there wouldn't be much room left for profit.

Larry

poplar1

Anyone know what year the 1554 was introduced?

The WE 1500D desk phone with square faceplate was introduced in 1963, though the earliest I have found is 1964. These had dials with 7 leads instead of 8.

Early 1554s had a plastic wheel on top to adjust the ringer volume. Seems like a better idea than the adjuster on the right side--those break off easily.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2013, 12:20:42 PM

Anyone know what year the 1554 was introduced?

A WE News Features article published in August 1963 predicted production "in the fall."

An article in Bell Telephone News (Southern Bell) published in November 1963 reported: "Production began this Fall."
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line