News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Just a quick post to say that after 2 weeks of trips across town, all of the "stuff" is now in my garage.  There is not much room in there to even stand, let alone try to open, sort and organize the lot...but I will dive into it tomorrow. A lot of the boxes have some of this and some of that, plus a phone or some other bits in them, so it is going to be an adventure!

Nick

FABphones

I'm so pleased for you. Every box will be like a treasure hunt.

You probably need to clear some space (!) next for everything that gets sorted out. If it was me I'd mark every new box up as I went through it and work out a plan to sell off as much of the 'space fillers' as possible to make some room and get the initial outlay back. Then you can really start to work with the treasure.
Contact dealers, ask what they are on the lookout for re parts, sell in bulk: on auction sites, ads, and phone shows or the ilk.

I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs, but I share your excitment. Have fun!   ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Nick in Manitou

Trying to excavate some pathways through the pile of boxes that is my garage now.

Going to post a few photos, but want to say that due to the lack of space to unpack and organize, I am tackling the large items and those that ended up on the top first.

I did receive a TTS-26B that the seller said works. I have no idea of how to use it, but I was told that it will allow me to check the specs on dials. I did a search on the forum and did not find any info on how to use it to test dials, so if anyone can point me to a source of info that a layman can understand, I would appreciate it.

I also got a BK 1045A and a Conway Phone-A-Lyzer. The BK unit seems to work fine (although I am probably not aware of all it can do) and I am not sure if I am using the Phone-A-Lyzer correctly or not. The seller said it worked and he did a quick demo for me...but when I tried it, I could not get the phone to ring and could not see the transmitter output.

There is a strange pay phone in the lot which seems to be new.

There is also a metal payphone backboard that is stamped with  '1A' and '233G'.

One of the largest items (therefore taking up too much space!) is a Mitel SX-50 switch. The seller was going to install it in his house but never got to it. I have taken several photos but may have missed something important. There are 2 or 3 large PC boards in their green static-proof bags that I have not taken photos of.  Any comments on this unit? (And I thought the Panasonic 616 was large and complex looking!) I have attached a couple photos of telephone units that I believe are associated with the Mitel switch.

Went to the building supply store this evening to pick up some materials to add shelves to the several sets I have picked up from Craig's List and other sources over the last couple weeks - will be able to unpack more stuff tomorrow.

Nick in Manitou

A couple more photos that relate to the Mitel SX-50...

I also have the plastic cover that fits over the unit when it is mounted on the wall. Could post a photo later if someone wanted to see it.

More photos of old telephones coming soon...

Nick

kleenax

Hey Nick;

the TTS-26B will allow you to check PPS (pulses per second) & Make/Break % of your dials.  I have some directions on how to use it from an old friend if you need them. I seem to remember seeing a copy of the manual for it from someone on the TCI list.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

And the BK Precision 1045 tests all the other functions of phones (except make/break and speed) so don't lose track of it. Many other topics about the 1045 & 1050 on the forum under test equipment.

The Tts-26B is in the first picture of reply #62 and the 1045 is in the second picture of the same reply.

The Mitel PBX would be able to run more analog phones than even the larger Panasonic 6-16 PBX. Mitel "lost me" after their original SX100 and SX200 PBX's, there seemed to be a new model every month. But that one has two 16 port analog station cards and I don't know if the 8 Port COV card is for digital sets or more analog stations. A Panasonic is likely easier to deal with though. But, I have no idea if there is any demand for a SX50 or not.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

Ray, if you can find the directions on the use of the TTS-26B that would be great. I assume that the manual would overwhelm me. I would need bite-sized pieces!

Terry, I don't have the knowledge/experience with which to test the SX50, but some folks must want them judging by the prices for the refurbished components on the web! Do you have any knowledge of the Conway Phone-A-Lyzer?

Thanks,
Nick

AE_Collector

No, nothing on the Conway Phone-A-Lyzer ... a more basic version of the BK Precision 1045 would be my guess.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

Spent most of the available time today putting together more shelf space, but finally did get to opening a few boxes.

A couple toys, more modern phones and then as I opened a box with some old stuff...I ran out of time.

So the attached photos are of what I processed today.

The fellow who sold me the lot said that the first item was a salesman sample type of thing.  It is pretty convincing as the proportions all look right, but it makes my brain itch as it is just too small!

Bell System flash light.

WE Space Saver type phone with navy data plate.

Surprised to find an AE34. There are several AE40s in the lot but (so far) only one of these.  I have spent no time yet trying to clean up the phones I have received, just removing some of the dust in some cases.

Nick in Manitou

A few more of the items uncovered today...

A couple of Northern Telecom 2554 wall phones. One is labeled as property of NB Tel - a fairly long way from Arizona! The finish on one seems to be factory paint while the other (on the right) does not seem to be painted.

A Bell System truck bank and a Simpson ohm meter.

Nick

AE_Collector

I believe that 2554's are actually 3554's when they are 554's (large) wall phones with adapter plates to convert them to TT phones. Was it only NE who did this?

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 22, 2018, 10:25:40 AM
I believe that 2554's are actually 3554's when they are 554's (large) wall phones with adapter plates to convert them to TT phones. Was it only NE who did this?

Terry
Stromberg-Carlson did it too.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Nick in Manitou

Having just yesterday seen the post discussing the existence of AE40s without the indentations for carrying ( http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20264.msg207628#msg207628 ), I was alert to that when unpacking some more of the phones in the pile in my garage.

I came across two AE40s that do not have the indentations.  I am still very new to a lot of the details of all these phones, so I may be misinterpreting what was said in the thread about Robs Collection, but are these really unusual?

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Today reveled a few Stromberg Carlson phones, some Northern Electrics, and a navy phone base that I am guessing is for a sound powered phone. I have not done any research on it yet, and I wonder if the handset that was in the same box is correct for that base.

I did receive a box of receivers that the seller said were sound powered phones, but I have not dug into that box yet.